Fixing studs for stair rails, into breeze/thermalite blocks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
The arthritis is hitting both Lady Benchwayze and me, right in the knees!. No possibility of a stair lift, because of the layout. So to tide us over until the replacement knees have been fitted and worn-in, it's gonna be stair-rails each side!

Someone gave me the name of a good epoxy type adhesive, that would hold well in crumbly breeze/thermalite blocks, in order to install a wall-plate that won't come adrift. It might have been here or in another place, but I can't recall.

Has anyone any suitable suggestions, so I can put in some threaded rods to hold the wall-plates?

Much obliged in anticipation.

:)

Cartridges of two part resin aren't more than £6 - £7 now, and they're easy to use - a standard cartridge gun'll do. They stick like pineapple to a blanket. Failing that, just use no more nails or similar to stick ordinary plugs in - as long as you let them dry before you touch them, they'll be o.k.
My house is 100yrs+ old, and I just accept that in some places the walls are soft so I stick the plugs in as a matter of course.
Phil.

Aled Dafis":1v0o8t44 said:
Hudson Carpentry":1v0o8t44 said:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Chemical+Fixings/Resin+Bolt+Stud+Fix+300ml/d90/sd1960/p11337

+1 Excellent stuff but remember to blow out any dust from the hole before squirting the resin in, use one of these to avoid getting dust in your eyes/face :wink:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Chemical+Fixings/Blow+Out+Pump/d90/sd1960/p44453

Cheers
Aled

Thanks Gents. Much obliged. The job will be a good'n!

Aled,
I won't ask you how you found out about the dust pump! :lol:

The stuff from Tool Station is the way to go.

BUT

Check the date on the tube as the last lot I got from them was 2 months out of date when it arrived, I got away with it but told them and had it refunded.

Tom

Benchwayze":35e3r0us said:
Also Aled, I'll use a small Carvac maybe to get the dust out the hole! Or put me goggles on!

8) :D

I'm not sure that a vac will work on its own, it'll just generate a vacuum at the surface of the hole and pull out some of the dust close to the surface, the pump has a pipe that goes all the way to the bottom of the hole to blow all (well, most) of the dust out.

I used to work as a project manager for a company doing pump and steelwork installation on sewage works and we used to use loads of this resin to fix into dodgy concrete when the expansion force of rawlbolts would have blown the concrete, it never let us down.

Yes you probably guessed how I know why you need the pump...

Cheers
Aled

Back