Fixing plywood to walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shultzy

Established Member
Reaction score
My daughter wants to line the walls of an alcove in plywood as a feature. It's 6ft wide, 7ft high, 5" deep and its a mixture of blockwork and brickwork. She doesn't want to see any screws or plugs. Any ideas?

Homers double":vqgong0v said:
Hi shultzy
Here is a link to the technical data sheet for insta stick foam adhesive.
I’ve never used it my self but have seen it used on renovation work sites for sticking plaster boards.
It might be worth getting a can and having a go to see if it works
http://www.geocel.co.uk/images/uploads/ ... _tds_2.pdf

I have used that stuff to fix plywood to the inside of a container. Worked very well. It was easy to wedge the sheets in place in container though and might be trickier in a room. I think I am right in saying there is not much difference between these PU foams and PU glues other than the amounts of blowing agent added to them so no surprise that they work well as a glue.

If you want a non glue method the Button Fix system looks very good, I've not tried it myself yet but plan to when I have an appropriate project . A quick internet search will bring up several suppliers.

This is what I decided. I cut 3" strips of 1/2" ply and fixed them to the wall using dot-n-dab adhesive, one at either end made plumb. I waited till the next day and added the three in the middle using a straight edge to keep them in line. I then drilled holes in the ply at positions where the dot-n-dab adhesive was and then drilled into the bricks using plugs and screws.
I was going to use a quick grab adhesive to glue the 4ft x 7ft ply panel but most of the comments say that they don't grab very quickly, taking maybe hours. Bearing in mind that a sheet this size is difficult to prop up for any length of time, what might be the best adhesive to use.

Homers double":33qihhgd said:
Hi shultzy
Here is a link to the technical data sheet for insta stick foam adhesive.
I’ve never used it my self but have seen it used on renovation work sites for sticking plaster boards.
It might be worth getting a can and having a go to see if it works
http://www.geocel.co.uk/images/uploads/ ... _tds_2.pdf

I have used this stuff to fix ply to the inside of a lorry container as they didn't want to pierce the steel. Really very good. Hung loads of tools off it with no bother. Made sure the ply was sitting on the floor so the only load was pully outwards.

Back