Fixing mirror in a frame

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been doing mirror engraving lately. Buy used cheap framed mirror, take out pins and mdf backing, laser engrave back, paint, knock pins back in, done.
But latest mirror i got uses wire staples instead of flat sheet metal pointy pins - if i pull them i wont be able to put them back in.
Looked online for what those flat pins/nails called and where to buy them only to find wall fixing things like hooks, nails, loops and manicure stuff (nails, geddit ?) etc.

I assume there is some sort of implement like a stapler to drive those flat nails in, but no idea what they are called or where to buy them. I'd settle for flat nails for the moment.

Help ?

Search eBay for glazier's points. You'll find what you are describing with a choice of insertion tools.

Or just use ordinary pins or brads and slide your hammer head flat across the glass. A sheet of paper under the head will help.

Yep, thats the ticket, thank you very much. A ton of mirrors to make now :D

1606138986422.png

1606138890933.png

1606138845157.png

Instead of pulling the staples, just bend them up, it’s doubtful if the mirror is that tight a fit that it won’t go past them, then just bend them down again. Not ideal I’ll admit.
Forgot to send this earlier oops

Can I ask how you engrave the mirrors?

80W CO2 laser cutter/engraver. Engraving all sorts - glass, granite, acrylic, wood, mdf. Cutting mostly ply/wood/acrylic/mdf, cant cut glass/minerals/metals.

Instead of pulling the staples, just bend them up, it’s doubtful if the mirror is that tight a fit that it won’t go past them, then just bend them down again. Not ideal I’ll admit.
Forgot to send this earlier oops

Most mirror backing mdf usually pretty close to the frame, bending them up doesnt leave enough of a gap to pull it out. Plus yanking them out is not difficult - needle nose pliers...

Back