Fixing marble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willsie01

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve been given a small table. A marble top with wooden leg base. The top is not fixed to the base. Never has been, which is not acceptable now as my inquisitive granddaughter nearly slid it onto her feet. What methods are there for fixing it? The base has an octagonal frame that the top, also octagonal, sits on. I’m thinking of fixing a male octagonal to the U/S of the top to drop into the frame.

Last edited:
Hello Willsie,
I find Araldite sticks most things (the 24 hour cure, not the 5minute version).
If you’re thinking of a mechanical attachment, a photo of the table (from top and bottom) would help significantly.
Best wishes.
Austin

A PU expanding glue would also do it, but watch out for the mess. I had a similar problem a few years ago with a saddle stone in the garden, tried lime mortar, sand and cement but ended up using this and never had the worry of my girls getting crushed again.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/titebond-polyurethane-glue-8oz-237ml/
I would damp the marble first to help the glue cure.

Cheers

Peter

I use a Polyurethene glue, it's in a tube like silicone and works just the same......
it will alow for wood movement if left a little thick and sticks anything to anything......
I also use it on the toes of my work boots when the soles start to flap.....
it's also waterproof and overpaintable, available in many colours.....
I use it everywhere, plastic handles on my wheel barrow that kept slipping, around the drains on my swimming pool, (totaly submerged, still good after 2 seasons) etc....
great stuff....also nicer to use than no nails......

I understand that some adhesives can stain marble to the extent that it can be seen on the face side.

When my floor was laid (15mm marble) the guy doing the work sealed both sides with a sealer to stop the adhesive discolouring the marble and showing any pattern from the trowel marks on the face. Didn't affect the adhesion and 10 years on there are no marks showing.

Clear silicone will fix it on and you'll be able to remove it later if you wish.

I've done the same. 4 blobs of ordinary clear bathroom silicon sealant. Works fine and easy to remove. Just a blob on each corner of the base, then lower the top carefully into place. If done before the stuff has set you get enough time for juggling to line up exactly. And removable, no stains on our (light sandy-coloured marble).

Clear silicone as said above or some self adhesive rubber/silicone pads will do the trick and easily reversible should you have a change of mind :)

Back