Fixing damage to a table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodFinish

Reaction score
Hi Wood Working peeps.

I seek advice and guidance from the sculptors of the woods of the ages.

So a hot coffee pot was on some papers but the pot was to hot and the table got dammaged like this.

Any possible step by step help?. Doi i sand down the area then various coats of laquer what kinds ?. Is there any kind fo extra sealant that i should get ?.

Total new person to this so would apreciate some help

Kind Regards

WF

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-24 at 11.30.43.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-24 at 11.30.43.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 46
First try warming the area with a hair dryer and see if it helps. Not hot, just warm for a while.

First, welcome to the forum....... sorry that your intro is on such a sad subject.

Personally I think that if you carry out a repair to just that portion, the repair will always be visible. Even if you cannot see it, the repair will always be in your perception of the object.

So, the fix?
There are several.......

Plan 'A'.
Strip the whole top back to clean wood and sand it gradually through a series of grits.
If the heat stain penetrates the wood too deep to be removed with abrasives, leaving a visible patch (which it may do), go back to that area with well sharpened scrapers and removed wood working gradually in the direction of the grain of each piece, travelling from the centre of the patch outwards covering an area larger than the stain section. Provided that any residual stain depth is not too great, say 0.5mm, It should not be visible to the naked eye.

If the stain is really much too deep to remove, stop and stain the rest to match.

Next, decide on your finish and apply it, bearing in mind that the science of synthetic finishes has progressed since that table was first made. You can decide on colour-matching with the surviving sections at this stage.

If all this sounds too drastic, then plan 'B' is to do nothing and buy a nice tapestry or table cloth.

Good luck.

I find that Rustins 'Ring Remover ' is pretty good followed by their 'Furniture Restorer' . Rub on with a green scouring pad then buff.

Back