Fixing a tenon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digizz

Established Member
Reaction score
I just screwed up one of my Tennons and cut it slightly thin (1-2mm). DOH!!! All the others are a lovely snug fit.

Any advice on fixing it - should I glue a couple of thin scraps to the tenon and then machine it down again to the right size - or could I get away with packing the joint at glue up time? Bloomin bodge up :(

Digizz,

Bad luck. :( Happens to us all at some time or another. Or oftener... :roll: Definitely go with gluing on a shim and trimming it down again.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3mo04mgs said:
Digizz":3mo04mgs said:
back to the workshop then... :)
Now there's a phrase I don't use nearly enough at the moment. <Sigh> Have fun :cry:

Cheers, Alf

Hah!! I actually got into the workshop on Sunday. :lol: First time in 3 weeks though :cry:

Tenon should be OK if you make a slip of wood to fit and then glue it and the tenon at same time. No need to glue up and re-machine

Tony":2budgt26 said:
Hah!! I actually got into the workshop on Sunday. :lol: First time in 3 weeks though :cry:
Ooo, so did I. I'd forgotten. I'm not sure cleaning up a Moore & Wright machinist's chest really counts though :?

Tony":2budgt26 said:
Tenon should be OK if you make a slip of wood to fit and then glue it and the tenon at same time. No need to glue up and re-machine
Yeah, right... :roll: In my hands that's just an opportunity to muck it up again, and much more seriously. festina lente, mate, IMO. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

ive got visions of a big hairy chested machiniist getting his chest rubbed clean by alf :shock: i must go and get some extra strong d f p s

Well - I did try gluing some scrap to the tenon rail - but when machining it in the WoodRat, I forgot to secure the router fully and it wandered off into the tenon even more (well, not quite wandered - more shot across!).

Second F*** up today - oh well, you live and learn. That piece was destined not to make it to the final job!

Cut a brand new piece and now just about to dry-clamp it all up - looking good :) (especially for my furst piece of furniture) :)

frank":4mgampfn said:
ive got visions of a big hairy chested machiniist getting his chest rubbed clean by alf :shock: i must go and get some extra strong d f p s
What a mental image. :roll: Glad I didn't mention the drawers...

Blast. :x

Go on then, Frank. Run with it if you must; you know you want to. :roll: :lol:

Digizz, ah, one of those situations. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

ALF where did you find a M&W Chest, they are as rare as the preverbial round here, I missed out on one by 4 hours, by the time I got to hear that a neighbor was wanting to get rid of one, he had already given it to the dustmen :shock: :cry: and all because a drawer handle was missing :roll:

Bean

Bean,

Dilligence, perserverance, clean living...

Nah, just luck really. One of my "regular" dealers had it. I hummed and hahhed over it on the Saturday, and didn't buy it. Kicked myself overnight about it and went back on the Sunday. Amazingly it was still there. Although it wasn't a particularly gloatable price, so perhaps not so surprising. Dunno why but I've always hankered after one, so I was a happy bunny. :D

Urgh. It's bad enough missing out on something 'cos someone else wanted it, but for it to be thrown away. <shudder> :cry:

Cheers, Alf

I woudn't have mined but I've been after one since I was an apprentice (more years ago than I like to think about). I may just have to make one one day. :roll:

Bean

Back