fixing a rosewood no.4 handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
On my 604 when i stripped it down i found the handle had a slight crack in it

P1010266.jpg

The crack is visible when not clamped down with the bolt. But I'm more worried about it snapping in time

P1010264.jpg

The crack without stresses.

P1010265.jpg

The crack when the handle is being squezed.

So my question, do I leave it? I have a fine synringe but I doubt I would get araldite down it, or can I just try and push as much in and the clean it off?

Adidat

Run thin CA glue in crack and clamp immediately, if it will hold a turning blank together whilst machining I'm sure it will sort that out.

thanks Chas, CA glue is a form of superglue? Can you recomend a particular product?

Adidat

Yes Cyanoacrylate, (superglue) I personally use StarLoc as a brand preference purely because of its convenience in packaging and how it performs for me, but for your application any off the shelf brand should be fine.

Just to add, you can clamp the handle before adding a few drops of thin superglue (CA) and it will stick firmly and quickly (Within seconds) due to capillary action. In other words, the superglue is naturally drawn into the crack and you can achieve a virtually invisible repair.......... More so if there's no gunk/dirt in the break. :wink:

Back