Fixing a Microcleene MC1200 air filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_Chavez

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have in my possession an old Microcleene MC1200 (cylinder type) air filter that appears to have been hit a few times and is not currently working.
I would be very grateful for your advice about how to fix it:

1) The impeller has come off the motor. By looking at it, it appears to me that the fan is just a push fit onto the motor housing? That is how I have re-attached it and the fan seems to stay in place when spinning, but I am just looking for somebody to confirm my guess.
Since the filter appears to have taken more hits than Mike Tyson, the housing is bent out of shape in a few places and the impeller is catching on something when I try to turn it. I can't quite figure out what is blocking the impeller movement, but shimming it up by 3mm provides enough clearance for the fan to spin.

2) I suspect that the motor is wired backwards.
I would have expected this filter to draw the air through the top, through the impeller and then push it through the filter cylinder. What's currently happening is that the air is drawn through the filter canister and expelled through the impeller, through the top of the cylinder. This way, if I understand correctly, the dust is just going to sit on the outside of the filter and go back into the air every time the filter is disturbed. Plus it is creating quite a draft when the fan is running.

I would be grateful for advice from anyone who has (or has owned) these filters.

Thank you.

There's not much to one of these. The fan is indeed push fit. If it's a bit loose then a drop of epoxy will fix it. If the canister is dented you should be able to get at it from inside and hammer the dents out gently.

The fan is running correctly. It draws air through the filter and expels through the slots. The filter protects the motor and fan. Dust does indeed collect on the outside of the filter and eventually clogs it. With mine I put a plastic bag over the whole thing and tap it to drop most of the dust into the bag without releasing it to the air.

Latest posts

Back