Fixing a low level toilet cistern to a wonky wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plum60

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have to fix a cistern to a wall that is not flat and imagine it's a common problem faced by plumbers in particular so I wonder if there is a purpose made adjustable bracket that is available to buy ?

Is this a close coupled toilet? If close coupled then the weight of the cistern is transferred through the pan, the cistern fixings just keep it to the wall so you could then use rubber spacers and pull the cistern to the wall as evenly as possible. If not then look at scribing a piece of wood to the wall so it fits flush and then attach cistern to this. All depends what sort of finish you are looking for, I assume not tiled!

Depending on the waste outlet position and associated pipe work if I can I build a false wall and square it to the existing wall , then fix the cistern to the false wall-as spectric says the weight of the cistern rests on the pan , the cistern holes are just to stop the over ambitious from ripping it of the wall, nb bolt cistern to pan but don’t over tighten-let it settle and gently nip up if req. then mark holes in false wall - use stainless steel screws and washers with the rubber washers behind s/steel as steel will rust in a few months. Pan and cistern must be square to each other or it will leak . Good luck 🤞

Is this a close coupled toilet? If close coupled then the weight of the cistern is transferred through the pan, the cistern fixings just keep it to the wall so you could then use rubber spacers and pull the cistern to the wall as evenly as possible. If not then look at scribing a piece of wood to the wall so it fits flush and then attach cistern to this. All depends what sort of finish you are looking for, I assume not tiled!
Hi Thank you for this. It's not a closed coupled cistern. The wall is not a different shape so much as it slopes so the distance required on one end of the cistern fixing will be lets say around 11/2 inch and the other screw would be around 2 inches long - it varies. I hope this explains. I will try to scribe a piece of wood and fit to that then. Thank you for the tip.

I have used rubber door stops for this before, easy to slice them to the required thickness to fit between the back of the cistern and the wall.

Back