Fixing a big hole in resinous pine.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
So I was planing some pine and all of a sudden this big hole appeared, inside its sticky with resin. Its a drawer bottom so I don’t care if it looks bad I just need to plug it somehow, and I don’t really want to redo the whole thing.
I’m thinking just use epoxy but will it adhere?
any other suggestions ?

Attachments

• IMG_3924.JPG
    IMG_3924.JPG
    530.5 KB · Views: 160
could you not flip the board over so the hole is on the underside? or is that not possible?

If you've got the time, rout out all the resin and make a 'dutchman' or patch from another piece of pine; glue in and plane flush - Rob

@thetyreman
same thing on the other side, a see-through hole.

@woodbloke66 @MikeG.
drilling out the dodgy part and using a filler or wood-plug is a good suggestion, my only worry is how wide is this thing, it could be a lot bigger than whats visible right now.

is there maybe some kind of chemical/solvent that could get rid of the sticky stuff, so epoxy could adhere properly?

What's the fixation with epoxy? If you're so desperate to use it, why not clean out the hole in the way we suggest, and fill it with epoxy? This is another one of those questions where it takes ten times longer to ask the question and pick away at the answers than it would have done to just get on and do the job in the workshop.

Here's another thought. Buy enough timber for the job such that if you run into something like this you just cut another bit. Or another one: check your timber before you cut it in the first place.

Well thanks for the life lesson, mister. I greatly appreciate you taking your precious time to enlighten me with your wisdom.
cheerio

Osvaldd":pync0blv said:
Well thanks for the life lesson, mister. I greatly appreciate you taking your precious time to enlighten me with your wisdom. cheerio
Well, to some extent, that's why people like MikeG, myself, and other professionals are here, because we rather enjoy helping the inexperienced develop knowledge and skills, and to provide solutions. One of my money earning roles, for example, is part-time teaching of furniture and joinery design and making skills - I do genuinely get a bit of a buzz when a student or apprentice suddenly 'gets it'.

Anyway, apart from the sensible advice from MikeG, another solution would be to rip a strip lengthways that encompasses both the knot and the void. True up both the sawn edges and glue the pieces back together. Then find another narrow piece of wood to make up the requisite width and joint that on to the original edge. Alternatively, rip a strip off of what you've got to remove the knot and void, and find a piece wide enough to join to the new edge to make up the requisite width. Both solutions remove the need to do anything with the void except put it and the knotty bit in the scrap pile. And, as you say, it's only a drawer bottom, so perhaps the visual aesthetics aren't critical. Slainte.

I'm no professional but I hope I can recognise good advice, born from experience. Woodbloke66 already suggested a 'dutchman' patch so I'll just add some pictures to show some I did, on the hidden side of a chest of drawers, covering old screwholes.

First, cut a diamond of thin wood, similar to the bit with a flaw in.
IMG_3531_zps85692423.jpg

Mark around it and chisel out to a suitable depth
IMG_3532_zpsd709bbef.jpg

Glue in the patch.
IMG_3533_zps8ef88be4.jpg

After the glue is dry, plane back flush.
IMG_3535_zps6fa0ddd0.jpg

If it was on a show surface, I would have made more of an effort to match the grain, but this was just for practicality, like yours.

Nice photos, Andy. I'd just add that putting a very slight taper on the sides means that wedging the Dutchman in with a few taps of a hammer will close up all the joins tightly.

Whats the chances of that knot beside the resin pocket being full of seeping resin also, since its so close to it?

Tom

AndyT":3elm4q9b said:
I'm no professional but I hope I can recognise good advice, born from experience. Woodbloke66 already suggested a 'dutchman' patch so I'll just add some pictures to show some I did, on the hidden side of a chest of drawers, covering old screwholes.

First, cut a diamond of thin wood, similar to the bit with a flaw in.
IMG_3531_zps85692423.jpg

Mark around it and chisel out to a suitable depth
IMG_3532_zpsd709bbef.jpg

Glue in the patch.
IMG_3533_zps8ef88be4.jpg

After the glue is dry, plane back flush.
IMG_3535_zps6fa0ddd0.jpg

If it was on a show surface, I would have made more of an effort to match the grain, but this was just for practicality, like yours.

As Mike said, nice pics. There's also a very large dutchman (at least 100 x 75mm) in the top surface of my Wegner style 'wishbone' desk, caused as I used a tired bandsaw blade to cut the veneers and one went a bit thin :lol:

DSC_0016.jpg

Fortunately, the 'dog n'bone' sits on top of it but if you look very carefully...

IMG_2630.jpg

...you can just make out the slight difference in the grain direction. If you didn't know it was there you'd have a job spotting it - Rob

Attachments

• DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2630.jpg
    IMG_2630.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 75
Back