Fixed steady for Boxford AUD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guineafowl21

Established Member
Reaction score
Not much on the usual sites, but I did see this:

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/High_Capacity_Fixed_Steady.html
They don’t say exactly what kit is needed to assemble it. Are they any good, and can they be made with a lathe and drill press?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a fixed steady that would fit mine? I assume those labelled ‘South Bend’ would fit?

Last edited:
The Boxford AUD is an English copy of the Southbend 9A. A lot of parts and accessories are interchangeable,

The Hemingway projects page says:

Major “Assets”
A Centre Lathe, typically of at least 3” centre height (7” Swing) and 13” between centres. Screw cutting facilities are essential for many of the kits. A Pillar Drill, typically of at least ؽ” drill capacity with a motor of at least ½ hp. A facility for Light Milling; a good vertical slide, bolted to your lathe's cross-slide, will suffice for all but a few of the kits. However, if you do have a dedicated Milling Machine, your progress will be at a much faster pace and a few of the projects will require this. If you're in the market for one, we'd suggest a vertical mill of at least 1 hp, 14” of X-travel and a speed range of 100 - 2,000 rpm.

Good luck.

Back