Fixed ( ie. non plunging) Routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone know where I can get a Router like the Porter-Cable (4318 I think) in the UK?

This is a non plunging type - usually with an optional base - which I think is designed to be used in fixed position.

Any info would be appreciated.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The only fixed base router that I know off as well as the one sawdustalley has mentioned, is the one B&Q sell. It has a D handle and I bought mine a while back and so far for what I paid for it, I am very pleased with it. I find the D handle much nicer to use than the standard handles fitted on all routers here in the UK. Adjustment is very easy as well, so get down to B&Q and have a look, its not great but not bad either concidering the price.
I to find it very annoying, that the Yanks have such a vast choice of routers that you can get with either a fixed base or standard plunge, most of their routers are supplied with both, Bosch availble here is totally different to what is available in the US, Why? is what I would like to know, if they can sell them in the US why not over here.

HI SDA,

To adjust the router from B&Q, there is a 2 position quick change part, inbetween this you use a thumb screw to the postion or depth that you need. Its not like the US routers where you turn the motor to get the depth of cut required. on a course cut type thread. Its not the fastest type of adjustment, but it works OK and for around £70 I am quite pleased with it. Hope this helps.

Charley,

I forgive you and I know where your coming from, in your logical answer, would seem to point as you suggested, but no such luck :( . It would be better if it did adjust as you thought, but we can't have everything like the Yanks seem to.

SDA, I to have the PPP1050 plunge router and like you am quite pleased with it, I have mine perminately fixed in my NYW router table and so far its done all I have asked, without complaint. What more could anyone ask :D .

There is an alternative in the form of the (for want of a better description) the back-handle plunge router. Take a look at the Festool EB1010 or its cheaper sibling, the Maffell OF50e. I've used the Maffell as well as a Porter-Cable 691 D-handle fixed base and the OF50 wins hands down (quieter, easier to handle, can be used single handed, etc, etc) - the only thing the Maffell lacks is a 1/2in collet, but then 1100 watts isn'te really enough for humungous cutters.

Back