Fixed base routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_h

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy a fixed base router in the UK. I have an old one that is on its last legs but can not find any for sale over here. Lots for sale in the US/Canada, so why not over here?

Probably because Trend/Elu did much to extoll the merits of the plunge router her in the 70's and 80's. If you do decide to import I can testify to the fact that Porter-Cable single-speed routers work OK on 110 volt site transformers - I've been using a 691 (D-handle) that way for 5 years now without any problems other than the fact that parts are a PIA to get hold of (mainly collets/nuts). I believe they have a disytributor called Harris or Harrison in Colchester. BTW, they are designed to allow use on 25 to 60Hz power supply, so maybe that's why I have no problems.

As an alternative would a "one-hand" design such as the Maffell LO50e or Festool OF1010 not suite your needs?

Mark

Welcome to the forum.

I used to have a Ryobi that was fixed based, good machine but it gave upo the ghost after 7 years. Bought in Cananda and run off 110v no problem.

Welcome to the forum Mark!
B+Q sell/used to sell a fixed base router. I have one, its not bad. (got in a sale for £37 :shock: )
Worth a look,
Philly :D

Thanks for the advice. I have found someone in the UK who sells Porter and Cable stuff who claims to sell their fixed base models in 110v only. This suggest they may just be US models.

I've also seen lots for sale in the US, and after currency conversion, import duty, shipping and VAT still appear to be reasonable value. Are there any difficulties in using US tools of a 110 site transformer, wiring of plugs etc?

Further advice appreciated.

Mark H

Mark

There are no problems with Porter-Cables - I've been using a P-C 691 for about 5 years now on a site transformer without problem (trade use, BTW). It doesn't overheat (the common complaint with induction motors as found in static machinery). Some of the P-C line are rated for use on 25 to 60Hz frequency

Scrit

Sorry, should have mentioned it - you'll need to wire it through a BS.4343 (CEE type17) 16 amp 2 pole + earth 110 volt plug (i.e. a "yellow" site plug) which you can obtain from any power tool hire company, electrical wholesaler or even some caravan retailers. Machine Mart also sell them

Thanks, is it straight forward to make the connections as I understand these yellow plugs require two 55v lives? Is this true or am I suffering from a case of urban myth!!!

Mark H

My relatively poor understanding is that they are 55 volts "centre tapped" (?), which translated means one is 55volts+, the other is 55volts-, so from either live to earth you only have 55 volts climbing up your arm (any sparkies out there, please correct!!!!). The P-C came with two cables, black and white and it doesn't seem to matter which way round you connect those to a transformer (at least according to the guy who does my PAT testing)

Scrit

hi all new to this forum,mark h i have recently purchased a 19.2 cordless porter-cable router from ebay,and was wondering if you could give me the details of the uk stockist has would like some there accessories.cheers steve

I found them on the web under www.porter-cable.uk.com a couple of weeks ago. However I am still waiting for them to get back to me with the promised details of what fixed base units they can supply. So I may end up ordering from the US if nothing happens in the next few days. I have also seen the 19.2v router on numerous US sites (Rockler, Coastal tools).

Good luck

Mark H

Problem solved.

I have now kitted myself out with two Porter Cable fixed base routers. One sourced in the UK from www.porter-cable.uk.com and the other from the USA via www.coastaltool.com

Both are USA models designed for 120v and with US plugs, but they both run fine through my 110v site transformer. The suppliers each provided prompt and efficient delivery. The import from the USA was cheaper, even after 48hr express delivery and customs, but is obviously without any guarantee. The UK sourced machine does have a guarantee that reflects the higher price.

I will be using the D handle model for hand held routing (supplementing my T11) with the other in my router table.

Mark_h

yea i used the same porter-cable supplier as you mark,they are based in wallsall and their actual name is Corroy,bought some template guides of them and the service was brilliant.I e-mailed Black & Decker like someone suggested and asked them for a list of porter_cable stockist in the uk seen has though they are now the parent company of PC,they did reply but said there are no plans to introduce PC products into the UK .

October 2004. B & D bought Pentair and Devilbis. Pentair is essentially Delta and PC and one or two other outfits. Close run thing, Ryobi's parent company was also trying to buy Pentair.

So when are B&D going to paint the Unisaw yellow, call it a deWalt and import it? :lol:

Scrit

Latest posts

Back