Fixed base router for router table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Elu MOF 98 mounted in my router table. But am getting frustrated setting depth etc. To the point that I'm selling it and am trying to decide what to buy as its replacement.

At lunchtime I went over to B&Q to have a look at their "20% off all power tools" sale. I noticed a Performance Pro fixed base router - first I've seen in this country. It looked perfect for mounting in my table. It could be a little underpowered at 1250W. My Elu is 1600W. having said that it is variable speed which my Elu isn't - so it's swings and roundabouts.

I don't see fixed based routers discussed much but they really do seem like the thing for a router table and fine adjustments. I don't want to spend another £150 for a routa-lift type thing.

Does anyone have any fixed based (or other good table mount option) recommendations or comments on the above B&Q router? Budget is up to £200 - but don't need any bells and whistles since it will only be used in the table.

Many thanks

Gidon

Hi Gidon,

I can't comment on the Performance Pro fixed base router but maybe Andy can as he reviewed it in Good Woodworking. If I can I'll try and find the issue out for you.

I have the Porter Cable 7529 in my router table which is a plunge base but I have no problems atall setting the depth. I don't have go through the effort of trying to plunge the router upside down. All I use is a homemade handle that fits over the built-in fine-height adjuster and turn it clock or anti-clockwise (it's just like a mini 'router-lift') :)

router01.jpg

Nice setup Charley.
One other option to the PC/Flex is the Freud 2000. Plenty of power- 2K watts, fine height adjuster and the rest. Circa £160. Bit rough around the edges, finish wise but a good tool.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks Charley. So do you have to unlock the plunge to use your fine adjustment - that's the fiddly bit I find because it needs two hands?

Actually just after posting I saw an article about removing the springs from a plunge router. I just had a quick go on my Elu and it was very straight forward - I now don't have to work against gravity! It's still not perfect - but not much different to a fixed base. So I think I'll hand onto it. I would still be interested to here about the Perf Pro fixed based one.

So I need to work out a way of unlocking the plunge lock while I adjust to keep a hand free to measure the bit depth... Any ideas?

Cheers

Gidon

Yes I've heard the Freud 2000 is a good router, It was on my list with the 7529 when I was looking for a 1/2 router :)

Gidon, yes on the 7529 you do need to unlock the plunge lock to use the fine adjustment but you don't have to 'plunge' the router all you do is turn the adjuster to set the height which only requires one hand :)

Thanks Charley. On my Elu though the plunge lock is sprung, so you have to hold it unlocked, while using the fine adjustment which needs two hands. I guess on yours the lock isn't sprung?

I did consider their Freud 2000, but after buying their biscuit jointer (JS102) I'm not so keen on those "rough around the edges" features!

Cheers

Gidon

hi gid
p pro fixed base router ! Hmmm
ok ill come clean ive got one of these , it was cheap at the time 52squid i think.
its a pipper to change cutters . 2 spanners though the side opening. one of the supplied pressed steel spanners has already sprung and is now no longer of service. when at max depth the collet nut is not accessable past the base plate. when at less than half depth the spindle flats are no accessable.
to mount this under a router table would be quite impractical .it would work if you could remove the central body to change cutters but the flex from the base fitted handle/switch bloch is not longenough to do this (although it could be rewired)
the router itself as a hand held unit i find invaluable as when depth is set and locked it does not move , very usefull for edge roundover trimming etc.
the switch spring strenght is high it gets sore on the fingure holding it depressed for longer than a minute.
however , i will say i would not now be happy without it.
sorted out new spanners.
sorry for the story/review guys.
Dave W

Thanks Dave! When I looked at it today I was trying to figure out how to change bits - sounds tricky. Thanks for the insight into table usage. May have to rethink.

Although having removed the springs on my Elu - it's a lot better - at least for the time being. I've started to look towards the Hitachi M12V or the Dewalt 625 - both are meant to ok for table mounting and should last forever.

Cheers

Gidon

hi gid
ive recently table mounted my Triton Tr1 for the first time, its a breeze to adjust depth with its fine depth screw knob when slung under a table, the plunge lock is also accessable.
on changing cutters it could not be easier as when fully plunged the spindle auto locks and the collet nut is above my router table top.
£ approx 200 if you are interested.
regards
Dave W

Gidon,

I've had the misfortune to own 2 of B&Q's routers and have to say that I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!

They seemed like a real bargin but they really cant stand up to even moderately hard work let alone really hard work. The vibration seems to make the elctrical connections fail (particularly solder joints).

I'm now trying the Axminster white 1/2 inch version which so far has taken a bit of a beating without complaint and mounts in a table really well.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart.

I've decided to keep my Elu 98 - after looking at other 1/2" routers I realised how good it was! And now i have taken the springs out and use a cable tie to lock of the plunge lock - and can quite easily use it mounted and vary the height either way +/- 1/5mm.

However ... got my old old power devil router out yesterday hot the switch and that was it - it was no more! It's lasted 4 years though. And I took it apart to find that the switch had burnt out, so could be repaired. Although doubt I'll bother. This is going to be tricky one to replace. At the moment I'm favoring the Trend T5 which can be got for £100 now and seems like an ideal hand held router. But my other option is to go for the Dewalt 625 - not sure it will be too awkward for everyday tasks though?

I was considering that Axminster one actually - looks ok.

Cheers

Gidon

I'm doing alot in the way of router for Sawdustalley at the moment, been send the Makita 3612CX, I'm building the router table using that and a fantastic device called a "Uni-Lift" you can get it from Woodpeckers at www.woodpeck.com

I haven't finished shooting the photos yet, but its a fantastic bit of kit, the reviews and router table guide should be up early november.

The makita router is EXCELLENT.

Don't know if there is a UK agent for the Uni-Lift, no doubt James can tell us. Another popular lift is the Router Raizer from
www.routertechnologies.com
There is a UK agent in Oxford, check the above site and click on European sales. About £70.00 odd. Very popular in the States.
I think Rutlands may do a Jessem model too.

Rgds

Noel

I haven't had a good look at either the router raizer or Jessem lift, but from what I can see in the images, the uni-lift beats both by far.

By the way, I'm not sure if Woodpeck are going to distribute in the UK, but they will ship it across no problem.

Might be worth emailing them for the details, tell them Sawdustalley sent you...

Sneak Preview: http://sawdustalley.co.uk/uni-prev.php

Gidion
I have the Performance Pro fixed base.... nice tool for the price once you get the hang of the depth setting. Bit changing with the double spanner arrangement through the little side window is a bit of a pain however. While I liked the idea of a built in ducted dust extraction port, in practice the pipe adaptors are so small that they render the vacuum almost useless.
It's definately not a tool I'd consider installing in the router table. That said, my table already has a Freud FT2000E installed. Plenty powerfull, electronic torque and speed control, soft start and variable speed are all features that've proved their worth over the years I've been using it. Personally I wouldn't consider anything else under the table; for the price, this is one hellova tool.

Agree with you Midnight, the Freud is the best value for money 1/2 incher on the market. Superb.

Rgds

Noel

Gidon

If you are looking for a 2kW plunge router designed to be used under tables then I'd try finding a Bosch GOF2000ACE (the latest) which was designed to do just that. I believe that the Triton router is a similar concept. Can't say about quality, but I've had no problems with Bosch blue tools over the last 20 years or so (including several of their routers). The Freud is a different story - a few guys I know have bought these thinking that they were the cheap option only to have them fall apart (they loose handles, knobs, switches fail, etc) - but then they were tradesmen and consequently treat what are supposed to be trade tools a little more harshly.

Scrit

Latest posts

Back