Five drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a new project in mind that has 5 drawers and four half blind dovetails at each corner.
All of the dovetails will be viewable as per picture.
drawer1.jpg

[/img]

My request of the forum is; can anyone recommend a shop built jig or have I got to buy one of those rats or similar. I can't imagine my expertise managing 80 hand built viewable joints and have a successful outcome.

Hey up, DW. Is it dovetails per se that you shy away from, or just half blind ones? If it's the latter, take a leaf out of Rob Cosman's book (well video anyway), rip off a few mm from the front of the drawer, cut through dovetails as per usual, and then stick the front back on. Dovetail jigs are better addressed by others; you know what I'd say. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Posting two more pictures of the cabinet I propose making as my next project.
I would point out that I originally saw this magnificient piece of furniture whilst on holiday this year at the home of Alex Springhall in Sydney Australia.
Alex and five other members of the Australian web forum living near or in Sydney all met at Alex's home and I would add that you could not help but notice that there were four different nationalities of the world present.
Alex has sent me his portfolio of much of his woodwork completed over a number of years and he his quite happy if I display the work on this forum if UK members are interested.
Alex would most probabluy be quite happy if I described him as a hobby woodworker but I know that some of his works have been purchased by professional galleries.

Anyway enjoy these additional pictures and advise how and if you would like other pictures posted.

drawers2.jpg

[/img]
drawer3.jpg

Not my style of furniture but I would say this is a really nice piece, nice concept, innovative, good looking and excellent workmanship.

Thnaks for the pics DW. I must admit that I quite like that. The idea of exposing the areas that one can usually hide and so expose your craftmanship appeals :wink:

The king of of the dovetail jigs is the Leigh!!!!
OK, the rat will make 'em too, but this is what the Leigh excels at and I know that newbies to the Rat find dovetails very hard

However, any cheap dovetailing jig would probably suit your purpose very well as most are designed for blind dovetaisl only

My advice would be to follow Rob Cosman's lead as Alf suggested and cut by remove front 3mm or-so, cut DT by hand, and stick front back on again

Thanks Tony for advice.

I have got sufficient timber for the dark colour effect (teak ex laboratory tops) but I am going to have to purchase the light coulour timber.
Any recommendations ?

I assume my large stock of reclaimed softwood (builder frame quality) would be a disaster with those joints?

devonwoody":s3u2euiv said:
but I am going to have to purchase the light coulour timber.
Any recommendations ?

Ash, oak, chessnut, maple?

Hows that for starters?

Adam

DW

I usually use Ash for my light timber and mahogany for my dark timber. However, a short while ago I bought a load of sycamore from Good Timber and it is an absolute dream to work. Planes like no other wood. Probably the most 'friendly' wood I have tried

By the way, this is the wood David Charlesworth always uses when domonstrating his planes because it is so nice to work with :wink:

By the way, if you go to Good Timber, they have their 'clean' sycamore at x pounds but they have a load of sycamore with less even colouring etc. for less than half the price.
Bean bought a 6"+ wide, 1"+ thick board about 2 to 2.5m long for a fiver :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thank you Roy, interesting piece. Something to consider in the future, expect to be tied up on the five drawer project for a little while though.

Erm sorry but you must excuse me as I was not the only one to buy some of that sycamore was I Tony

Bean

Bean":1kr7c2z2 said:
Erm sorry but you must excuse me as I was not the only one to buy some of that sycamore was I Tony

Bean

True, I did buy, ahem, a few boards myself :oops:

But I reckon you got the best deal on that board I mentioned previously :wink:

What I dig down through a veritable mountain of sycamore, past two miners on their way up, to find the ultimate board for you, and it was a beauty, pale, lustrous, clear and darn right pretty and you reckon I got the best deal :shock: I must go out more often

Yeah ok :roll: but only on the coloured stuff :oops:

Bean

Guys,

What I want to know is why you didn't invite me back to Good Timber? :evil:

I could of had the best board and then there would be no argument. :wink: :roll:

Back