Five Drawer Embroidery cabinet a la AlexS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
2005_0529cabinetweb2.jpg

2005_0529cabinetweb1.jpg

2005_0529cabinetweb3.jpg

Attached are photographs of a 5 drawer embroidery cabinet. The original design a jewellery cabinet was seen earlier this year when on our visit to Oz. Some viewers may recall that we visited the home of alexS of Sydney with other members of that forum.
I was very much attracted to this item made by Alex (as well as others) and Alex kindly supplied me with the measurements, photographs and construction assistance when requested.

My cabinet is made using sycamore for boxes and Brazilian Mahogany for the frames, oak was used for the drawer runners.

Thanks again Alex for letting me hijack your piece of furniture and assistance

Hopefully I will apply the exterior finish sometime in the near future.
(I don't think it will do any harm to leave awhile to let the timber attain a patina etc)

Waka":nz35axlk said:
DW

Very nice, I like the unusual design. Are you going to share the plans with us?

If anybody should wants details I can pm my sketch drawings I'm sure Alexs in Sydney will have no objection. Or if alex reads this post perhaps he would publish his plans.

Drawer/box size is 289mm x L, 212mm x W, 69mm x D.

Philly":15mpymtp said:
Nice work DW!!
How did you get on with the dovetails, after?
Cheers
Philly :D

The lapped dovetails were as per picture below.
Tails were cut freehand on the bandsaw and pins cut by hand, and used the jig for cutting shoulder line published by Derek Cohen of Perth.

2005_0531bedbox0004rweb.jpg

Leaving a while before doing any filling incase the timber moves :oops:

Well Done DW, I have been keeping an eye on this project since you came across it in OZ and declared an intent, your persistence with an idea is to be admired.

No chance of hiding any mistakes inside the carcase with that one. =D>

Back