Fitting wooden file handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kriggi

Established Member
Reaction score
Received some new Axminster (Vallorbe) files for my birthday along with the Axminster (Python) wooden file handles. It’s been decades since I last put a handle on a file, can anyone remind me how it’s done?

Think in the past I heated up the file tang until cherry red and gently tapped the handle on. Is this still the way to do it?

Should I drill out the handles at all before?

I may be a complete numty ( actually, I'm certain I am) but I got the same files from Axi and handles too. They had a pilot hole.

So I took the file and rammed it in. 4 out of 5 went on really well and haven't come off. The last one went in a bit wonky, but somehow is more comfortable to operate and also hasn't come off.

Unless you are filing hard on the pull stroke (as far as I know it is the wrong technique) the handles get wedged in further as you use it more and more.

You just gently tap them into the hole. If they become loose then a couple of smart taps with the base of the handle on the bench top. When the file is used up you can reuse the handle. It's also quite easy to make you'r own as they do not really need a ferrule. Any likely bit of scrap wood and drill a hole for the tang.
Regards
John

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll tap them on and see how they go. Can always try a different technique if they come off later.

Agreed with the above. I was taught - a LONG time ago - that you're supposed to heat the tang up (NOT red) then tap the handle on to the hot tang.

In reality I've found that not to be necessary - IF the pilot hole is big enough, and if the handle has a metal ferrule round the end, than a few gentle taps seems to work fine.

For storage I usually remove the handles again (just hold the file business end, and give a sharp pull against an edge) and to refit, place the handle on a flat surface, and again grasping the business end of the file, just sharply tap the tang back into it's hole. In both cases I use either the bench itself or the anvil surface cast into the bench vice.

All this, and a lot more, is available in a sticky at the top of this Metalworking section should you be interested. It's called "Files and Filing" and is written by some bloke called AES! :)

Thank you AES. I did do a search before I posted (didn't want to look silly) but nothing came up! I'll have a look now.

Many thanks

I can’t imagine why you would heat up the file, that would make the metal expand and so when it cooled it would be slightly loose in the handle.
Edit, if the file was as described redhot I suppose it would burn the correct shaped hole in the wood but seems a bit drastic.

Yes Cabinetman, that's what we were told - not hot enough to be cherry red but hot enough to burn into the handle. But as said above, I've never found it necessary.

Thank you AES. I did do a search before I posted (didn't want to look silly) but nothing came up! I'll have a look now.

Many thanks

OK, you're not "silly" - that info, along with pages & pages of other info, is buried inside what is a long post. I doubt if the search engine here is clever enough to get that far "down into the weeds".

But hope it helps anyway.

Python file handles have an internal wound spring to grip the file tang. Just push in the tang (in the correct sized handle, there's about 5 sizes) and maybe twist a bit. DO NOT BORE OUT you'll probably break the drill. When the file is dull, tap off handle and re use. If you give them some linseed oil you can even keep them reasonably clean.

I believe Python handles are still made (in the UK? - anyone know?) and available for a very reasonable price in various sizes?

There are file handles with a coil inside (and some nice US ones with a coil outside but I just looked at a couple of Python handles I have and they don't seem to have this but do have a specially shaped ferrule and something like compressed paper in the tang hole - anyhow they work very well.

Only thing is the untreated wood is not v attractive, doesn't seem to take linseed oil well, but soon goes dark grey with use -- however they are super functional --- and wood, not plastic - yay (as granddaughter would say).

Last edited:
Have you tried golf balls? Drill hole bang on fit the hand better than a wooden handle. Pocket83 on Utube has a video of this.. I have them on mine and on all my G clamps.great improvement.

Back