Fitting T hinges to framed ledged and braced doors.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierce

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

New member here!

I have an issue I am trying to solve on an upcoming project, and I am hoping for some advice / guidance...

I will be making two pairs of framed ledged and braced garage doors, and wish to set the matchwood / T+G back 3-5mm from the top rail / stiles. (Purely for aesthetic reasons, as its no more work than fitting it flush with the frame)

I also wish to fit some nice long penny end T hinges, but what can I do to make sure the bottom hinges fit properly due to the 3-5mm inset matchwood?.... I could cut out a packer to add behind the hinge, which I'm pretty sure would look rough, (see attached image) or I could attempt to bend a step into the hinge, but I'm pretty sure I would end up either snapping it, or at very least ruining the finish if heating before bending....

Is there an industry standard for this problem?

Should I just fit the matchwood flush with the top rail / stiles?

SGPhGarageSolidBraceLedge.jpg

Attachments

• SGPhGarageSolidBraceLedge.jpg
    SGPhGarageSolidBraceLedge.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 112
Pierce":17m57f8t said:
......Is there an industry standard for this problem?......

Welcome!

Yes, the industry standard and historical precedent is to eliminate the problem at source, by having the matching flush with the frame. 'twas ever thus, for good reason. You have the possible danger of improving the aesthetic (in your eyes, at least) on one hand, then ruining it on the other by packing out the hinges.

Back