Fitting square edged laminate worktops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I might be fitting some square edged laminate worktops for a customer, I normally avoid worktops but it's a good customer and they want me to do it.

Never fitted the square edged laminate before, what is the best way to join them in corners, the ones on display in Howden Joinery just had the 2mm edging removed and then butted up. Other people tell me a 10 mm masons mitre looks better.

My jig is quite old and think does a 25 mm masons mitre or similar, have been told to just put some 15 mm MDF between pegs and worktop to give smaller mitre but until I have got my head round this on a test piece sounds like a recipe for worktops that are 15mm too short!

Which way looks best, if a mitre do I need a new jig? If it's a butt joint what is best way to remove 616mm of edging strip?

Thanks in advance, Doug

I did a u-shaped kitchen with these at the end of last year, and the customers are very happy. I removed the edging using an undersize bearing on a flushtrim router cutter, and a sharp chisel in the corners.

Thanks Setch, took me a while to picture the undersize bearing on router cutter method but obvious now #-o Good to hear the job worked out well.

Anybody else?

I fitted an ikea one and it failed miserably in weeks.... I thought it was strange having the edging stuck on the front rather than the typical round over shrunk wrapped style.

Adidat

Have a look at Freebird Interiors YouTube channel, he did a video on exactly this a few weeks ago.

From memory he just scored through the laminate edging with a Stanley knife then peeled off the waste with a heat gun to soften the glue.

Back