Fitting skirtings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions regarding the fitting of skirting boards - specifically the joining at internal corners.

I've heard a lot of (younger) chippies recently complaining that when using deep skirting boards and fitting to a corner that is out of square (over 90 degs internally) they cannot use their mitre saws to cut, say, a 48 deg angle. Standing the board up they can't get the depth of cut. Laying the board down doesn't help because few saws tilt beyond 45 degs.

Personally I was taught to always scribe profiled skirtings at an internal corner, and generally do this by hand. Out of square corners therefore never really present an issue to me.

Am I being extremely old fashioned in the way I fit skirtings?

Are carpenters these days not taught how to scribe?

Opinions please.

I agree, scribe internal and mitre external. Far neater and stable finish. That was the way I've been taught by a time served shop fitter....

Baldy, I agree it's common sense.

Unfortunately though common sense doesn't always win through.

Several years ago I worked as a Site Manager for a company building high end bespoke executive homes and was stunned to find that the 2nd fix carpentry contractors were simply mitring all internal corners. When I challenged the chippies they had no idea what I was talking about. When I contacted their boss I was told "we don't bother with that now - takes too long. Mitre and a wipe of caulk and you're good to go mate."

There's a whole estate near me built in the '70's that an acquaintance of mine worked on as a decorator. He told me one day how much they "earned" on it. :shock: He said it was quick work - no knotting, no primer, no undercoat, one coat of white emulsion and straight to gloss. It was never checked. Conversely, a chippie that I worked with said that in the '50's when he started work, architects would specify pink primer, off white undercoat, white undercoat then gloss - so it was easy to check up on the job. I suppose with MDF scribes are of less importance, but most things nowadays are only done for speed not quality.

I built the home I'm in now in 2007 and the chippys scribed all the internal corners. Skirting was pre-primed mdf but they did it the old fashioned way so its not everyone. The team was about 5 blokes including 2 apprentices that weren't yet 20 so some youngsters are getting taught properly too. They handled the speed issue by being on site at 7am every day and not leaving till about 5. None of this 8 til 4 lark. The Polish soon steal their business if they do that. Quality methods and good old fashioned hard graft. It was a pleasure to watch in fact.

both, if the corner is square enough I'll be lazy and mitre, if it's all out of shape (normally is to be honest) I'll scribe.
just done first room in new house, skimmed the walls which meant I could square the corners before I even got to skirting. joys of doing it yourself I guess, you can control each stage.

I had a friend who was a sparky, he used to "play practical jokes" like tying people's laces to the rungs of stepladder, and putting rapid hardener in plasterer's mixes when they weren't looking. He then moaned like hell when they plastered his boxes in. He didn't connect the two. :?

Scribe here, if i catch anyone doing internal mitres on any jobs i'm on, i make sure they do it again but properly. :D And no i'm just a chippie not the site manager.

Can someone enlighten me, scribe how? I didn't know there was any other way but mitreing. What I always struggle with is accurately measuring the lengths, especially when the skim don't go all the way to the floor.

I'm in a new build and do a LOT of work in new builds and most of them 'round here are scribed - and the external mitres are properly glued, not just held together with caulk as I've seen elsewhere. Pleasantly surprised to be honest! I guess the chippies have nowt better to do since all doors come pre-hung with ready-fitted hardware. :wink: :wink:

Don't get me started on the electrics though...

HandyAndy":oqrxc952 said:
I'm in a new build and do a LOT of work in new builds and most of them 'round here are scribed - and the external mitres are properly glued, not just held together with caulk as I've seen elsewhere. Pleasantly surprised to be honest! I guess the chippies have nowt better to do since all doors come pre-hung with ready-fitted hardware. :wink: :wink:

Don't get me started on the electrics though...

:lol: There is some hope then :lol:

Scribe

Also all chippies I have worked with scribe too. Some types of skirting are mitred internally but it's very rare

Back