Fitting plastic sacks on dust extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimwillsher

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m sure you are laughing, but I find this really hard!

You get the bag around the back of the rim, then pull it around the front and the back has dropped off. Or you get the whole bag on but it then comes off when you try to fit the metal strap. I don’t have enough hands!

So what tips can others share?

My best option today was a bungee cord around one of the three metal supports to trap the plastic, then the same on the other side, effectively giving me four hands. But it was hit and miss.....

Jim

2 or 3 magnets to hold the thing in place whilst you put a strap round, or bungee or whatever

You get the bag around the back of the rim, then pull it around the front and the back has dropped off. Or you get the whole bag on but it then comes off when you try to fit the metal strap. I don’t have enough hands!

My best option today was a bungee cord around one of the three metal supports to trap the plastic, then the same on the other side, effectively giving me four hands. But it was hit and miss.....

Jim
Been there. Done that. I find my other half is very useful at times like that!

I use a couple of bits of duct tape to hold the back up, but the magnet idea is interesting, I'll give that a try next time.
Brian

I turn the top inch or two down (so the top of the collecting bag looks like an upside down leg of trousers with a turn up. Then i put the sprung metal locking band in the 'turn up' which holds the bag open and the top rigid. Then I slide it over the flange on the extractor and find bag and locking band move as one. Finally close the locking band catch. For me this works every time and is both quick and saves a lot of swearing!

Jeff (aka Misterfish)

No need for expensive rare earth magnets. Good old fashioned ferrite magnets are perfectly adequate and arguably easier to handle due to being physically larger.
Duncan

Hi, I have been a long time watching member of this site! But I think I need to offer my 2 pennyworth from time to time now! On this one I use some masking tape to secure the dust bag - I just do a slight overlap of the bag and use the tape on the overlap and then I can use the spring locking band. It works for me. My bag does also tend to have quite a few repaired holes in it with strong duct tape!

Jim
You are nearly there Jim. I also use the bungee cord but it holds the bag all the time. I tossed the metal clamp in the bin. I find that the bungee also gets a better dust seal. With the clamp band I could see where dust escaped near the catch. Two wraps around to be on the safe side. To change bags I slide the chord up then its all ready to pull over the new bag. I know it will stretch over time but 2 years now and still fine.
Regards
John

Jim

Jim

I turn the top inch or two down (so the top of the collecting bag looks like an upside down leg of trousers with a turn up. Then i put the sprung metal locking band in the 'turn up' which holds the bag open and the top rigid. Then I slide it over the flange on the extractor and find bag and locking band move as one. Finally close the locking band catch. For me this works every time and is both quick and saves a lot of swearing!

Jeff (aka Misterfish)
Brilliant Jeff! It's a real pain-in-the-neck job, particularly with a big extractor. It now seems so obvious I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it!

I use magnets also. I have "magnet hooks" (see ebay) on most machines for safety specs etc. so I take two, use them to hold the bag up on either side, and it's done in a matter of seconds.

It takes longer to carefully fold over the open bag without releasing dust into the workshop.

Back