Fitting Phenolic Base to Router for Sign Making Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I am obviously being really dumb - which is often the case, which is why my normal mode of operation is to wait until I hit a challenge, then go away for 12 hours until a solution pops into my head, then continue.

However, this time no obvious solution has popped into my head - so I need some help.

I have a selection of routers and just bought the Rutland Sign Making Kit. The supplied guide bush does not fit the base on any of my routers so I need to use the phenolic base that comes with the kit instead.

My issue is that the new base has a hole for the bush but no others - how do I mark where to drill holes to fix to the router?

If I position the new base over the existing base, it will be nicely centred (using the guide) but I cant see where the holes need to be.

If I take off the existing base and position it over the new base, I can easily see where the holes need to be but cannot centre either on the router axis.

And I cant tape or hot glue the bases together on the router (to get both centred) and then remove them as the screws on the existing base will be obscured by the new base....

I know the answer is simple - but am getting fed up of waiting for a light to come on in my head, so any help would be greatly appreciated

Are the holes in the router base blind?

If not then a transfer punch. If so the maybe grob screws just poking out to mark the positions, or put a bit of paper over the bottom if the bass and do a brass-rubbing type thing to mark the holes on the paper, then transfer that to the phenolic?

There are probably better ideas.

Sporky, Thanks for the thoughts - yes, holes in the router are blind.

Don't think the brass rubbing will work as I still have the issue of getting it centred - but something based on the grub screws idea could work.

Maybe if I remove the small screws that hold the current base, then sit them in place to ensure alignment, then position the new base in the right place (using the centre guide) and having 1st put double sided tape on its face, push it up to the current base. If I could then separate them, the small screws should be stuck in the position on the new base where I need to drill..... Not as precise as I would like (and these things have to be spot on to work really well) - but if no one else has a better idea, it is definitely worth a try.

Martin, can you not remove the existing base and centre the new one on your router with the supplied bit then centre your existing base on top and mark through the fixing holes on that ideally with a transfer punch or drill bit. I could be wrong but at first glance it looks simple enough.
BTW if you did get it wrong there's no problem because you can just turn the plate and try again, any unused surplus holes won't affect operation.

Martin, can you not remove the existing base and centre the new one on your router with the supplied bit then centre your existing base on top and mark through the fixing holes on that ideally with a transfer punch or drill bit. I could be wrong but at first glance it looks simple enough.
BTW if you did get it wrong there's no problem because you can just turn the plate and try again, any unused surplus holes won't affect operation.

Agree - I need to do it 'on router' else I am guessing where the centre is and even the slightest error will give me a problem.

If I remove the existing base as you suggest, how do I know that is centred? See 2 example routers below - both have large central 'holes'.

Maybe my solution will be to ignore the phenolic supplied and make one up from perspex so at least I can see what I am lining up on and where to drill... But it seems a lot of effort for something that I hoped I could use 'out of the box'

20220108_101534.jpg
20220108_101546.jpg
20220108_101619.jpg

What is the diameter of the hole in the existing phenolic base from the router you want to use...?

It states on the Rutland site that the brass bush has a diameter of 13mm. All I would do is make a template spacer bush with an internal hole of 13mm and an outside diameter the same as your existing router plate....Then drop the existing one over the top of the new one and just mark your holes.....
Or am I missing something...??

Edit.
I posted my reply whilst you were replying Martin...Sorry!

That is a fairly large hole to contend with, but I stand by my suggestion of making a temporary spacer bush.

Agree - I need to do it 'on router' else I am guessing where the centre is and even the slightest error will give me a problem.

If I remove the existing base as you suggest, how do I know that is centred? See 2 example routers below - both have large central 'holes'.

Maybe my solution will be to ignore the phenolic supplied and make one up from perspex so at least I can see what I am lining up on and where to drill... But it seems a lot of effort for something that I hoped I could use 'out of the box'

I'd agree with the others to get a 13mm bush if you can but I still feel it's easy enough to centre your new base to fit.

Take off the existing and measure the dia. then mark that with a compass on the new base, easy enough with care or even by placing existing on top of new, fit the new base to the router using the supplied bit and d/sided tape, fit the old base on top to your marks on d/s tape and mark or drill though the fixing holes.

The other thing you could do to help with centering would be get a bit of thin wood or perspex, whatever, drill and make up a washer with outside dia to fit inside the existing base centre and inside dia to fit your centering bit, you could probably find a holesaw to cut it or even a bandsaw or scrollsaw.. I have a lathe which is another method.

Or get a piece of thin stiff card, cut a template the same as your new base, centre on the router using the bit and d/s tape and poke through the holes with an awl.

Could probably do it quicker than explaining but I fully understand your frustration and cautious approach Martin.

I'd agree with the others to get a 13mm bush if you can but I still feel it's easy enough to centre your new base to fit.

Take off the existing and measure the dia. then mark that with a compass on the new base, easy enough with care or even by placing existing on top of new, fit the new base to the router using the supplied bit and d/sided tape, fit the old base on top to your marks on d/s tape and mark or drill though the fixing holes.

The other thing you could do to help with centering would be get a bit of thin wood or perspex, whatever, drill and make up a washer with outside dia to fit inside the existing base centre and inside dia to fit your centering bit, you could probably find a holesaw to cut it or even a bandsaw or scrollsaw.. I have a lathe which is another method.

Or get a piece of thin stiff card, cut a template the same as your new base, centre on the router using the bit and d/s tape and poke through the holes with an awl.

Could probably do it quicker than explaining but I fully understand your frustration and cautious approach Martin.

In my defence, my original post did start with the assumption that I was being stupid.....

But I can buy a bush of the same size, screw it on and away I go? Amazing and so simple.

Amazon have been contacted, order placed and delivery expected tomorrow. I knew there was a simple solution - thanks so much everyone for helping me through my imaginative block.

Latest posts

Back