Fitting European hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have got some european hinges, well at least this what they call them in the US woodworking mags I have. They are the ones used in all the kitchen units these days.

I am building a tool cabinet and coming across those hinges I decided to buy a few. Now I am thinking of using them in this project but I have never installed them before. Do any of you have tips and easy techniques to install them. Even better is there a template I can print to set the hole needed in the doors ?

Also, while we are on the subject, are they better than your ordinary hinges, or is it really to use only if you want to conceal the hinges?

CYC,
European hinges are great because of the adjustment that is built in to them (up ,down ,left ,right ,back and forward). They are way easier to fit than butt hinges. Only extra tool you will need is a drill bit to cut the holes in the doors for the one half of the hinge. (there is a special bit, I think its 35mm)
only downside is-they are fitted in all kitchen units, so not exactly fine woodworking. Pretty handy for day to day jobs though!
regards,
Philly

Best thing I could advise is to make yourself a couple of jigs - one boring the 26/30/35mm hole required in the DOOR (and any extra holes - some hinges require one or two other locator holes), and a second one for drilling the holes in the CARCASE. The big holes are probably best drilled on a drill press, in which a chipboard offcut baseboard with a nailed on scrap back fence will work fine. The manufacturers (like Hettich, Blum, Hafele, etc) all have drawings on their sites showing the relative position and sizes of the holes, but make sure you get the right one as there are a few differences between makes. Some makers sell jigs, but they tend to be pricey, and Woodworkers Supply used to do them in the USA, but it is just as easy to make your own jigs, really. Consistency is the key to fitting these things.

Scrit

Well my problem is that I don't know what brand or type they are because I bought them loose (no packaging). I understand I'll need a 35mm cutter for the drill press. Next I need to figure out where to make the hole... :?

CYC

Are they this type of hinge? http://www.hettich.com/com/hettich/en/38_248.htm. Do you know how far they open, i.e. 90 degrees, 110 degrees, 170 degrees? What diameter are the main hinge bosses? 35mm? Is the "pot" a single pot or are there side screws as well? How many holes are there in the door plates (The X-shaped pieces) and how far apart are they? Also, what thickness are your carcase sides. If you post the information I'll have a stab at finding the appropriate information in the catalogues (HEttich, Hafele and Blum) and post a reply - I just looked on the web sites and nix (they used to have the gen, honest guv), but the gen is in the printed catalogues!

Sorry about the previous post, I transposed door and carcase, the cup goes into the DOOR :oops: I've corrected that

Scrit

Scrit, it does look like it but not sure this is exactly it. I will take a picture of it this evening and send it tomorrow. You might recognise it then (praying...).

I found this http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77B82.pdf, do you think this is pretty standard, I mean the hole measurements.

The carcasse and door are made of 18mm plywood.

... I had noticed you transposed carcasse and door but never thought less than a mistake from you scrit :wink:

When I fitted some of these I made a jig to use with a router and guide bush. I didn't see myself wrestling heavy ply doors under the drill press with any degree of accuracy. :oops: Not necessarily the best way, the only way, or the way you should go, but a way which does work. I didn't have any instructions either, so I made a few test runs and looked at the kitchen cupboards. The distance from the edge of the door seemed to be the most important bit, and even then there's so much room for manoeuver with these hinges it's not a patch on the hassle I have fitting butts (hinges, that is :p ). That PDF from Woodcraft looks okay to me, but as my experience with these hinges is so small I'll defer to Scrit. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf, indeed I have come to the conclusion that the most important part is the distance from the edge of the door to drill the 35mm hole.

I'd say I'll stick to the drill press to make that hole though :wink:

I'll hopefully get sorted with Scrit once I get a picture done tomorrow.

I have found what the hinge is, and I have found the measurements on the Heittich site:

http://www.hettich.com/en/hbh/Verarbtk.pdf

Go to page 10 of this document and it's all there. I am not sure which hinge exactly I have, but trying out the different measurements I should be able to figure it out.
I'll make a jig based on it...

If I remember rightly it is about 22/23 mm from the edge of the door to the centre of your hole and that is based on 5mm in from the door edge and then adding half the diameter of the drill bit. You have a bit to play with anyway because the hinge will adjust to some extent if you are a few mm out but if you are unsure you can just check a kitchen cupboard door and see what the measurements are on them.

Back