Fitting Euro Style Hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone point me to guide for fitting Euro style hinges? I have searched the net but nothing really helpful. I am fitting them into mdf doors/carcasses. Not sure how to measure and mark for them. I have a drill bit I bought with the hinges.

WiZer

When you say Eruro style higes do you mean the kitchen cabimnet type, if there are then I usually drill the hole 5mm from the edge of the door, thats on 19mm carcas and door.

When fitting the door to the carcas I clamp the doorin position to mark the hole for the carcas fixing. I think some people put a 1mm spacer betwween the door and the carcas when marking so as to leave a slight gap, but as the hinges are adjustable I don't bother with that.

Hope this helps, if the information is wrong then I'm sure someone will correct me.

wiZer

there is a hinge jig on the rockler web site but its a bit over the top.

I made new kitchen cabinet doors last year (15) and made an MDF jig to position the holes equal about centre and in line with the existing holes in the carcases. I would recommend a trial run on a piece of scrap before commiting to your doors.

Waka says to drill the holes adout 5mm from the edge. Again you should test this on your trial fit as if you drill them too far from the edge the door will bind on the carcase or adjacent door.

phil

best to use a jig if you have alot to do. The doors, well my holes are 3mm from the edge of the door so 20.5mm to the centre. I marked these first and set them equal distance from top and bottom, it's easier to mark out this way. With this you will have a centre distance between hinges. Next either work from the top of the carcass or the bottom and work out the position of the top (if working from the carcass top) to the edge of the door (say 3mm) then add the distance to the centre line of you hinge (say 70mm). This will give you your dimension from top of carcass to centre line of hinge plate (73mm) then add you distance between hinges plates for the bottom hinge.

Once you have set up one, all the rest will be fine.

Do a test first as trying to fill 35mm diameter holes isn't good :wink:

Thanks. Just went out to have a play. Lucky I did use a bit of scrap because the bit that I have is the wrong size! The hole is far too small. I bought it a couple of years ago for something else and never used it.

Another job postponed. #-o

Thanks again for the guidlines, makes sense. Easy when you know how :wink:

The hole position is determined by a number of factors such as carcase thickness , height of mounting plate, door thickness, corner radius on door, overlay, overlap or inset hinge, etc

Woodfit have four pages that give the basics, but a test fit is best until you get used to them, I still do it even though I get through a few hundred hinges a year.

With a bit of figuring out you can make a jig for use with the router/guide bush and a straight bit, will save the cost of a cutter.

Jason

Thanks Jason

The Carcass and Door are both 18mm MDF. Not sure about the other factors yet.

I'll have a look through woodfit's info while I wait for screwfix to deliver the correct bit.

WiZeR":2d6kbgmn said:
Thanks Jason

The Carcass and Door are both 18mm MDF. Not sure about the other factors yet.

I'll have a look through woodfit's info while I wait for screwfix to deliver the correct bit.

Hi Wizer i bought a jig either from Rockler or Eagle America, www.eagle-america.com i think they have different ones, the one i bought slides on a bar you fix a 35mm drill bit to a special adapter onto the unit & it works perfect every time, i also bought a perspex jig which gives you the exact position for the hinge plate on the carcass.

have a look on their site it really worth it.

good luck, locton

Back