Fitting electric cooker query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our Neff induction hob is eleven years old and has never failed us, it is on two phase's of a three phase supply, third phase supplies the oven, this may have a bearing on its reliability.

Our 900mm wide Neff induction has been going strong for 4 years now, no option for 3 phase supply though. So few houses here have it.

Wouldn't swap induction hob for any other options. Easy to clean, easy to use.

While my electrician wire the house up, he did not do the final run to the hob or the oven and nor was he interested in what type of hob was being fitted, short of its max loads.

Our five year old Zanussi cooker with induction hob started showing a fault code, so as fortunately we have insurance on it I reported it and when the chap came he replaced the circuitry on all four rings, not just the one that failed with new stuff which is more reliable. I wouldn't change back, even for gas.

We inherited a 4 ring induction hob when we moved in Dec '18. Wife loves it, but you can't put both rings on one side on 'boost' at the same time. still great to use and my wife wouldn't go back to gas. It's staying when we get a new kitchen next month. :):)

I have an Interest in a pro kitchen as part of a commercial facility (not getting much use these days sadly) and like many serious pro kitchens it uses 3 phase. It has Athanor induction hobs which are much more powerful than domestic ones and seriously impressive. I don't have three phase at home unfortunately (though plan to install it if and when I build the new workshop close to a 3 phase farm transformer, so have installed Gaggenau single zone hob (ie no rings). That has quite a hefty power drawer and required its own 32amp supply similar to a big oven. Yet to use it as the kitchen is still not finished. :rolleyes:

Just have to remember to use 2 rings on different sides. I use boost on from time to time to get 2 pots of water up to temp for veg or whatever.

Last edited:
Just have to remember to use 2 dings on different sides. I use boost on from time to time to get 2 pots of water up to temp for veg or whatever.
Get a quoker or similar. Really good for anyone who cooks a lot. Instant boiling water all the time.

Try putting your water on while you're peeling the veg. Easy. :)
We prep a bit ahead often. Spuds will be peeled and sitting in water for maybe an hour before we cook as an example. Much of the veg leaps out of the freezer.

Typically the veg is the fastest thing to cook anyway, so once the oven, pan or grill is going its easy enough to get the water boiled ready for some veggy action. I'm also fortunate enough (to have designed the kitchen this way) to have a 900mm wide hob with 5 zones, so we can easily have 2 on boost and 2 more just doing something at normal settings if we need to and still have room.

I did want to inset the hob into the worktop to have it flush but bottled it at the time. Maybe one day soon. Would make the wife very happy as stuff getting under the edge is one of her bugbears. Fortunately apart from a 200mm radius on one corner of that stretch of worktop and the hole I had to cut for the hob, there are no joins or anything to do so if I did balls it up it's not the worst thing in the world.

Yes. Price is a bit of a factor. It was not anywhere near that expensive for me as the alternative was running a hot water supply a long way across the house from the boiler and fitting a recirculation pumped system to stop it taking ages for hot water to reach the furthest point. Because it is a pressure system that required a plumber install and the quote was £2k plus Vat. It was cheaper to buy and fit two Quookers and a better solution. I am now a convert.

It's cheaper than running a kettle (they say) and only needs about 90 years to achieve payback :cool:

Last edited:
I boil the kettle generally when I want water for cooking. It's quicker than our hob and I don't need to watch it. If I need more than the kettle can handle I start some going in the saucepan while the kettle boils.
Kettle is the most efficient way to boil water in a kitchen, over 90% efficient if it's a high kW one.

Hi All I love to hear about kitchen fittings, my wife always says "what if we have a power cut when we're doing the dinner, we have to keep gas".
I do try to say that induction is more efficient than a gas hob. DBT85 what Neff hob do you have, we have to do a back to the brickwork new kitchen soon and I need all the information I can get.

Hi All I love to hear about kitchen fittings, my wife always says "what if we have a power cut when we're doing the dinner, we have to keep gas".
I do try to say that induction is more efficient than a gas hob. DBT85 what Neff hob do you have, we have to do a back to the brickwork new kitchen soon and I need all the information I can get.
It isn't this one, but its as close as I can find from their current lineup.

https://www.neff-home.com/uk/productlist/hobs/induction-hobs/T59FT50X0
Magnetic knob that you use to set which area to adjust. It just pops off and lives on the cooker hood when not in use. No need to remove it at all though really. Not sure it adds anything other than some semblance of tactile control as you're turning a knob rather than just pushing a touch sensitive pad to change a setting.

900 wide, 2 zones on either side with a larger one in the centre. The outer ones can be paired to make one long one. We paid about £800 and it came with a set of nice pots.

My kitchen is just about the only one I have been in where I can cook and not crack my nut on the extractor hood. Most put them at the minimum safe distance which is conveniently at forehead height! It's also a decent hood that not obnoxiously loud but actually does extract. Ducted outside in 150mm. It has stainless grills on it which catch much of the ick and they just go in the dishwasher.

As for having to keep gas around. Have a bbq if the power goes out. Meanwhile enjoy an easy to clean, easy to use, easy to control cooking life for the other 364.99 days of the year.

Because the glass itself isn't directly heated stuff doesn't burn on nearly as easily, you can wipe it down mid cook with a damp cloth or kitchen towel. No cast iron bits to faff around with, no bits of dinner left all around the burners that are just extra work to clean.

I think I mentioned them earlier too but I can highly recommend DIY Kitchens. They don't (at least didn't?) have a design tool or installers, but the units come pre built (not with cams), are solid and they do a host of door styles and when we ordered at least would do it all in any F&B colour you wanted if you paid the extra.

We ended up with 1x tall oven unit, 2x tall pull out wire larder units, 1 sink cupboard, 2x 5 drawer 1m units, 2x 3 drawer 1000 units, 1x 2 drawer 1000 unit, 1x 5 drawer 500mm unit, 1x 900mm wide bridge unit (between larders) and 4x tall wall cuboards, all the boards, fillers, cornice etc all painted a nice blue (I forget the name) and the price was frankly very very good considering that worked out to be 25 soft close full extension drawers! Oak worktops from worktop express. About 18 months later I added another 2x 1m wide regular cupboards and while they obviously can't guarantee the colour match, it matched perfectly.

Pay the extra for 2 man delivery. The units are heavy and large and if they drop one it's their problem, not yours.

Last edited:
My wife is the same, always had a gas cooker but with the AEG cooker we've just had I found out it needs electricity for it to work. The safety devices need electric to work. No electric no cooking, which didn't go down too well with her.

Thanks for all the info DBT85, sounds like you have a very nice kitchen.
I could write a post longer than that with the things I still havn't finished, put right or neatend up. Only been 4 years :p 99% of people would look at it and think its perfect though so yeah, its nice. Very fortunate!

Back