Fitting a Vice ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening

This one has got me scratching my head. I spent a while today trying to work it out. I thought I had it sussed, but laying in bed it's got me thinking again....

I have a pair of these Vice Screws

I'm confused how they actually fit together. They come like this:

100_0347_001.jpg

The more I think about it the more confused I get. Should Part B fit to the front jaw of the vice or should it be turned around to fit the rear of the back jaw? What do I do with part C, do I even need it?

Sorry if this is obvious but I can't see it.

Part C is the nut which fixes in/to the workbench. Part B fixes (in the same orientation as it already is) to the moveable jaw of the vice. Then the screw screws in and out of C to move B.

I'm editing again: Part C isn't very clear in that shot. Does it have an internal thread that fits the leadscrew, and an external thread or some other means of fastening to the inner jaw/lip of the bench?

do you mean the shank should travel through part C? Because it hasn't got a hole in it:

100_0348.jpg

Not sure what you mean. I have a pair to be mounted into this:

braiser2.jpg

Wizer
The vice screw you have is for a traditional front vice of a Scandanavian style workbench.
Part c is screwed to the back of the outer face of the vise. Part b is screwed to the inner side of the "dog-leg".
For your bench discard part c. Part B will be on the back of the inner face of the vice cheek. Does this make sense??
Philly :D

Thanks Philly, I think what your saying is how I'd decided on yesterday afternoon.

Do you mean that Part B is turned around on the shank and the fitted to the back of the rear vice jaw? i.e the one which is part of the bench. Like this?

braiser20.jpg

Philly":2ey45pma said:
Wizer
The vice screw you have is for a traditional front vice of a Scandanavian style workbench.
Part c is screwed to the back of the outer face of the vise. Part b is screwed to the inner side of the "dog-leg".
For your bench discard part c. Part B will be on the back of the inner face of the vice cheek. Does this make sense??
Philly :D

It seems so obvious now you point it out. Too much wine last night.

The problem is going to be that there is nothing, if you do as you suggest, to constrain the screw to the moving vice cheek so that it moves the cheek as it screws through part B (I'm assuming, like Wizer, you meant to attach part B to the back of the inner, static, vice cheek). It will close OK (because the handle bit will push against the cheek). But, when it comes to opening the vice, won't it, like JFC's incomplete Record, just unscrew itself from the outer vice cheek rather than actually moving/opening it?

Jake":1l71votz said:
It seems so obvious now you point it out. Too much wine last night.

The problem is going to be that there is nothing, if you do as you suggest, to constrain the screw to the moving vice cheek so that it moves the cheek as it screws through part B (I'm assuming, like Wizer, you meant to attach part B to the back of the inner, static, vice cheek). It will close OK (because the handle bit will push against the cheek). But, when it comes to opening the vice, won't it, like JFC's incomplete Record, just unscrew itself from the outer vice cheek rather than actually moving/opening it?

This is what caused me to post last night... can't figure out any other way.

Jake":23z7d17h said:
But, when it comes to opening the vice, won't it, like JFC's incomplete Record, just unscrew itself from the outer vice cheek rather than actually moving/opening it?
Looks like it. The wooden screw solution to that is a garter - which is going to be the very devil to explain without pictures... Please tell me you have The Workbench Book, WiZeR? [-o< :lol: Of course it's debatable whether having to manually pull out the vice jaw is gonna actually kill you... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

It looks in Jakes suggested screw as if there is a rotating collar to be screwed to the face of the vice that will retract the jaw as you unscrew it.

sorry ALF I don't have that book. It wouldn't be any hassle manually pulling out the vice jaws but after having another look at Jake's recomended screw, and Chris confirmed it, I've ordered those. Axminster very kindly sent them to me postage free, which is excellent, well done them!

Thanks for all your help

Alf":2uobk5bc said:
Of course it's debatable whether having to manually pull out the vice jaw is gonna actually kill you... :wink:

Is the jaw going be a bit floppy if the holes are big enough to let you pull it to and fro on the screws? Especially with a twin screw, where it is going to jam if you don't pull it out perfectly parallel, unless there is extra slack.

Alf":exvvotds said:
Okay, Jake, obviously it is gonna kill you. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

A bit touchy today?

It isn't going to kill anyone, obviously :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

But is it going to be a bit floppy, like I asked? 8) :? :D :) :( :eek: :x :evil: :oops:

Sorry, probably just a bit. :oops:

Well probably it would, yes. But to the detriment of the clamping ability? Heck, won't it actually make clamping tapered stock easier? Search me, 'cos it's just theoretical to me at the moment. But at some point in the not-too-distant future, I hope to be doing something similar using wooden screws and I was going to try it without garters. Time will tell, and if it's no good, worst that can happen is I'll have to make a new vice jaw.

Cheers, Alf

Back