fitting a bigger blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy mark

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a table saw which takes 255mm blades and has a 3HP motor, I would like to fit a larger blade and have found a source of cheap good quality blades but they are 280mm, assuming that the blade can be fitted to the saw is there any real reason why it's not a good idea to fit a blade larger than the saw was designed for?

I have done this myself to enable me to be able to cut 95mm thick board. The riving knife had to be adjusted and was on the edge of being unable to go any further. The scribing blade had to be taken out and wound as far back as possible. As long as you can get the blade in thats your first problems solved. Second is that a bigger blade at the same speed as normal will take longer to stop so the brake will be defective. To combat this I just adjusted the speed down a notch and then the brake worked correctly.

I too am wondering about fitting a different sized blade to my table saw, however I was thinking about a smaller diameter rather than a larger one. Does anyone recommend against this or is there anything I should be aware of? The current blade is 254mm.

Thanks.

Slight increase in load on the motor of course but otherwise the only objection might well be on the 'run down' time, depending on the braking system of course. The blade is supposed to come to rest within, I believe, 10 seconds.
Having said that, according to my reading on the subject, current regs allow blades upto 15mm wide, so perhaps the 10 sec rule only applies to original fitments?

Roy.

Digit":1d9gn6ub said:
Slight increase in load on the motor of course but otherwise the only objection might well be on the 'run down' time, depending on the braking system of course. The blade is supposed to come to rest within, I believe, 10 seconds.

Roy.

if used commercially

Granted, but I was suggesting that the person may well have to live with a longer run down time. Manufactures can't be certain that their product may not be used commercially so all the modern TS that I have used are braked.
Mind you, one I used only applied the brake as long as the OFF button was held in! :roll:

Roy.

I have tried to fit the 280mm blade, it looks like the riving knife needs re-shaping or replacing, as the saw is brand new I would rather fit a replacement does anybody have a source for a riving knife or the metal to make one? It's a Axminster AW10BSB2 by the way.

Back