Fitted wardrobes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi

Im looking at doing some fitted wardrobes for a few clients. I want to keep them simple, either build them with MDF doors or ready made doors.

I don't have a workshop so i will have to build them in when im there.

Does any one have any advise on these jobs or no where there are some plans etc???

Hi - this month's (February!) Furniture & Cabinet Making has the first of two articles on fitted furniture. Not plans, but rather how the author sets about measuring up, and considerations for installation etc. Might be of some help.

Good luck - RoyS

Might I suggest that you develop some designs using ready-made doors. The problem with MDF is that it will be very heavy, and tends not to be totally flat. This is especially important with large (such as wardrobe) doors, where either the top or the bottom might end up sticking out 10mm or so, and the weight cause hinging problems.
I would recommend developing a technique for framing the area that is to become the wardrobe so that a rectangular and vertical hole is left to be filled with a pine frame and panel door/s, which will have the advantage of being cheap, light, and attractive
John

Thank you john

Yes that's a really good point. I have been jotting down some ideas of making the plinth, and 2 s/wood frames(2*2) to screw in to the wall to make up the carcass. Im thinking of having a full length face frame about 3*1 which i could scribe to the walls and ceiling and the doors could be hinged of this. The face frame would be a large rectangle(floor to ceiling) with one cross member running across where the top doors start. Im thinking of using buscuit joints to make the face frame.

What do you think???

If anyone knows some good places to buy ready made wardrobe doors from please post them in.

Thanks again john

Coggy

If you are making face frames then you need a Kreg pocket hole ig or one of the copies (the Trend one looks good). The advantages are considerable, not having to clamp up and wait for glue to dry being two of the most important
Do not try to manage without one of these.
John

Thanks john

Yes, that would be a good idea, and the Trend one looks the business. Do you know where you can buy ready made wardrobe doors from? i've found a lot of places that sell cupboard doors but there not big enough.

Around the sheffield area if possible, if not any where.

Thanks again john

If anyone knows some good places to buy ready made wardrobe doors from please post them in

If you are looking for sliding doors you might take a look at

http://www.doorsdirect.co.uk/

They are in Harrogate I think so unless my geography is failing me not too far from sheffield.

Never tried them, just a place I came across on my own search for sliding glass wardrobe doors.

Andrew

Thanks andrew

I am also after non sliding doors.

Any one please

Thanks again

Back