Fitted desktop supplier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of adding a fitted desktop area, and need advice on where to purchase some bits.

I've heard that you can buy desktops (L shaped with anice curve) or similar. I'd be looking to fit the desktop across one end of a room which would require two L shapes and a straight piece in the middle.

Main questions are:
Is it possible to buy the desktops on their own? if so, where from
Would it be relatively easy to join them without too much fuss?
Once the desktops are fitted, i'd look at drawer/cupboard/book cases to put under/over them, but don't want it to end up looking like a kitchen.

Would it be better to just buy some sheets of good ply and cut out my own desk shapes then edge it with some nice wood?
Where would you get such ply and wood?
Would they blend together nicely? (a lot will depends on the skill of the craftsman, but in terms of colour/finish etc).
Would it be possible to hide the join between two sheets of ply? or would it be better to treat them as separate desks with an edghing strip between.

This large desk area would be used for a couple of computers and enough room for 3 people to comfortabley sit at.

Sorry, lots of questions and lots of ramblin, just thinking out loud here.
feel free to shoot down my ideas, and call me a newbie - i am.

Hi J and welcome to the forum

There are some office furniture manufacturers who will supply their desktops as items on their own but you'd have to ask around. Even Ikea used to supply desk components separately a few years back. However, if you want to fit something precise in then you're probably better off making your own as you may find it a problem to get a match (veneer/colour) on a manufactured desktop if you are making your own infill panel to work with someone elses ends. Edge jointing sheet stock is never guaranteed to produce a perfect edge, especially in thinner materials such as the 18mm or 22mm sheet stock used in office furniture, so I feel it's best avoided. I suggest you rout your own tops using a router and a trammel bar from either veneered MDF or veneered chipboard and edge band it all round using iron-one veneer edging tape. If you were a bit nearer to me I could offer to run the job on our CNC router, but I reckon the cost of delivery would outweigh the materials and sheet stock put together! (The nearest we deliver is Leicester/Derby) Whatever else the tops will need to be supported from beneath to prevent flexing, especially if you are putting computers and monitors on top. This means you'll have to build a framework in either timber or steel.

The simplest way to edge treat the pieces would be to apply iron-or veneer edging. The way to handle the insides of the curves, which can be a pig to iron on with an electric iron, is to use a heat gun (hot air paint gun) to melt the glue on the veneer tape then press it down using the smooth shaft of a chrome-plated screwdriver. You should be able to get a matching tape from the merchant who supplies your boards.

For flexibility I'd suggest building your drawer units on castors and size them so that they push under the table top surfaces. This may be difficult as you have to accommodate the framework beneath your desktops as well. If you can post your overall dimensions maybe someone can do you a quick sketch to show you the general layout you'll need.

As to where to buy material, anyone nearer than Yorkshire want to advise, please?

BTW if you want a price comparison to base any quotes on I'd be happy to oblige you.

Scrit

J have you looked at the returns in ikea you might see the tops you want they might have a scrach or two but if your putting some putters on it you wont even see the table after a while .

frank

when i said i wanted socks i dident mean for my feet

frank":2zttb8dc said:
J have you looked at the returns in ikea you might see the tops you want they might have a scrach or two but if your putting some putters on it you wont even see the table after a while .

Thanks Frank, great idea. I'll keep an eye out.
Although my local ikea isn't opening till next week, so unlikely to be any returns there yet :) i'll wait till sometime January.:)

Back