Fish Glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the word "tycoon" have some other meaning in American English? Genuine question. I'm married to an American, and I have never encountered any usage other than the usual.

No, I use it the same way you'd think of a cowboy riding a plastic horse. As in a fake tycoon who considers themselves a mover and shaker or keeper of intellectual purism but doesn't make anything.

The word super in front of something now doesn't mean the same thing in the us, either. Super trucker, super maker, etc is widely used similarly... someone who talks a great deal about what someone else should do but has little experience.

No, I use it the same way you'd think of a cowboy riding a plastic horse. As in a fake tycoon who considers themselves a mover and shaker or keeper of intellectual purism but doesn't make anything.

The word super in front of something now doesn't mean the same thing in the us, either. Super trucker, super maker, etc is widely used similarly... someone who talks a great deal about what someone else should do but has little experience.
Thanks.
I'm none the wiser, but thanks for trying to explain.

Wow, a "smart" comment - why bother.

I made it as far back as April in your post history before giving up - you're kind of like Tiddles. No making of anything, lots of posting. Minority of the commenting even having to do with woodworking. Well done. I mean, it's one thing to make little, but you get an award for frequenting a woodworking forum where people make things and having trouble even posting in general about things being made. The bulk are posts like yours, veiled criticism.

There should be a forum for folks like you and Tiddles where you can talk to each other about something other than making and maybe just ask each other "for data" or language clarification.

Wow, a "smart" comment - why bother.

I made it as far back as April in your post history before giving up - you're kind of like Tiddles. No making of anything, lots of posting. Minority of the commenting even having to do with woodworking. Well done. I mean, it's one thing to make little, but you get an award for frequenting a woodworking forum where people make things and having trouble even posting in general about things being made. The bulk are posts like yours, veiled criticism.

There should be a forum for folks like you and Tiddles where you can talk to each other about something other than making and maybe just ask each other "for data" or language clarification.
I generally ask questions about how to do very simple things, because I am a rank amateur, whose time gets eaten away by fixing stuff my family break, or simple constructional work. I don't offer a lot of advice to others, because I'm not qualified to do so. If that disqualifies me from asking a simple question about your usage of a word, then it's the first I've heard of that rule.

What I don't do is to put down people who disagree with me by implying that they are shoddy or inferior craftspeople.
If it seems that I make a disproportionate number of posts in response to yours, it's only because I abhor bullying, and pomposity irritates me.

Latest posts

Back