First try at a box! Oak, Meranti, Pine and Epoxy Resin.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Kaizen123 - I only know of one TITAN table saw and I got mine from Screwfix just over a year+ ago. The TTB763TAS, 254mm blade, 80mm max cut...

I had issues with it but as Screwfix didn't have any stock to replace with I made do. Had to use some washers to help square up the table top/blade and front fence... where the fence attaches to and the tape measure is. Took me a little while to work out why I couldn't get square cut boards. I also had issues with the wood getting burned and leaving those marks as you show in you first images. Came across a TS blade discussion here and decided to get a 24 tooth blade instead of using the 40 tooth that came with the table saw. Works a treat now so, if you haven't got a lesser tooth blade than the 40 I'd recommend a change - made a big difference to my use of the saw.

@accipiter thank you. I've seen all kinds of online tutorials on making your own fence and sled ect. Have made a VERY crude version of a mitre sled but can't see it lasting long.

I think the saw itself is great for 99 quid but definitely needs fine tuning to be bearable. Thanks for the tip though because in my brain I was instinctively thinking more teeth=less wood burn. Note to self: don't trust brain.

Just now trying to do as suggested and glue a couple batons to fit the base.

Attachments

• IMG20220114104117.jpg
    IMG20220114104117.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 8
@Kaizen123 Agree, £99 is a tempting price. I paid the same then had a *minor* issue - head snapped off one of the fixing bolts - and asked them to supply a replacement/spare one which they couldn't easily do. Long story short, eventually got sent the full bolts/nuts fixing pack from one in Coventry so making that TS unsellable! Also got a £25 credit note which eventually became a refund... so £74 is even better :)

The more teeth the finer/cleaner the cut BUT depends what you are cutting. I got a 80 T blade as I saw one being used for getting fine cuts - - - on plywood boards. I did think the blade that came with it was suitable for both rip and cross cut cutting but again it depends on what you are cutting. The information I gained here along with the advice helped me to determine I needed a 24T or even less (<20T) maybe.

Here are some pics of the "fine tuning" I had to do with the front rail to get the fence square with the blade as the main table front edge and side sections don't line up flush - except at the back:

Attachments

• IMG_20220114_104815_resized_20220114_105230799.jpg
    IMG_20220114_104815_resized_20220114_105230799.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220114_104820_resized_20220114_105230620.jpg
    IMG_20220114_104820_resized_20220114_105230620.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220114_104827_resized_20220114_105230426.jpg
    IMG_20220114_104827_resized_20220114_105230426.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 14
B&Q is not a good place to buy nice wood btw. You won't find any sizeable hard wood there for sure. See the thread on timber merchants. I think there's a useful one on how to buy hardwoods as well

B&Q near me do actually have some decent size live edge oak if all else fails, but it's not top notch (fair bit of gnarly grain sap etc.) and it's also eye wateringly expensive for what you get. If you can find a timber merchants somewhere near you, or even a builders merchant, as MarkAW suggests, you'll be better off.

Very nice. For the bottom, maybe glue some battens a few mill up from the bottom, to support a free floating ply base? Maybe some felt on the ply beforehand, using the method Custard (?) put up on the forum.
This worked a treat! :) Also going to glue the bottom panel to the sides and batons and I reckon she should hold. Thanks for the tip!

@Grantx the only problem is I have no way of mitring accurately. I have been doing it by hand and can not do it that accurately to be honest. I have one of those plastic hand saw guides but it's so overused I don't even think it's true anymore and wasn't really ever to begin with.

I have built a mitre sled for my table saw but again it is not the best table saw and probably not the best sled...

I'm gonna get an electric mitre chop saw jobby soon but have sort of given up on trying to mitre boxes for now. So if I do this box you've posted the plans for which I want to do next as it'll help me learn to follow a plan (thank you btw), I'll probably do a different joint as long as that isn't considered blasphemy to someone's plan.

@Kaizen123 may I put forward that your saw table can do accurate mitres but will need time spent on it to set correctly.
I had to spend time on mine and make adjustments as explained "how to" in the manual.
Quite a few vids on YT also offer guidance on what to use to help. Once set you'll be quite surprised - but will need to double check from time to time as it can loose the settings. *Don't* rely on setting the 45 degree (or other angles) just by the gauge markings by the wheel.

@Kaizen123

I have lots of small pieces of air dried riven baltic oak knocking about at the moment and I'd like to offer you some pieces of wood for your box next project.

There are conditions though;

1.You learn to cut dovetails.
2. You pay the postage from London as I'm skint.
3. That HMRC don't decide to take them off me when I travel to London in a couple of weeks.

They look like this with lots of figuring and have nice straight grain, so it's very well behaved and should finish quite well, and they won't have my layout scribbling on them.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

View attachment 126864View attachment 126865

4. That you don't cover them with resin and make a traditional box with them.

Thats great 👍

Last edited:
I have built a mitre sled for my table saw but again it is not the best table saw and probably not the best sled...

As another member suggested, spend time looking at your saw and figuring out where it's inaccuracies are..... so washer or shims to level the table, double and tripple check the angle guage settings, check the fence is 100 percent parallel to the blade and adjust if not.... but one big improvement is the blade. As said before finer blades are great at cross cutting, coarser blades ( less teeth ) are better for ripping, but above all, a good brand blade will be next level..... so search for a suitable freud or trend pro. Much more expensive options are available, but not necessary

As a first try I'm happy to stop here. Learned about rabbets and milling and feel this was a good practice project to learn some basics. On to the next one!!

I'm just going to felt the insides and leave it as is so I can look at it in years to come as a memory and to gauge progress.

Attachments

• IMG20220118112409.jpg
    IMG20220118112409.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 14
Nice effort
I think long mitres are one of the most difficult joints to get to pull up perfectly especially if there is no internal spline as they can slide about .
I find the best way is to tape everything in place with parcel or insulation tape and then use a very striong tape wrap or old bike inner tubes.
Regards cutting by hand it is quite straight forward to make a mitre shooting board

Back