First tissue box of 2012 underway

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Back in the workshop today after gardening exercises and humax recorder set up.

I had to skip the chessboard pattern effect with the prepared timber of last week owing to the black walnut instability, but using BW to make thin strips to decorate the first box of 2012.

2012_0322maplewalnuttb10002w.jpg

Attachments

• 2012_0322maplewalnuttb10002w.jpg
    2012_0322maplewalnuttb10002w.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,437
Cleaned up the boards above and thicknessed to 8mm.

2w-28.jpg

Prepared a board that was originaly 6mm thick down to 4mm on the thicknesser (to be used for bottom box sliders)

3w-27.jpg

Did this using a platform in the thicknesse (18.5 thick) and setting the machine to thickness at 22.5mm as per picture below.

4w-29.jpg

The boards used to make the box are taken over to the router table and a 4mm bit puts a rebate suitable for the bottom sliders.

6w-23.jpg

The boards are then machined for mitred corners using this jig.

8w-24.jpg

Close up of jig.

9w-22.jpg

Gluing up of box carcass proceeds next, I lay down poly and then put a strip of masking tape, sticky side up.

10w-22.jpg

the pieces to be glued are layed on top of tape, glue applied and the box sides are then folded to shape and masking tape holds the carcass in shape until set without any clamps.

11w-18.jpg

Box glued and checked for size before lid and sliders are fitted.

12w-17.jpg

Taking a day off to do some DIY, the shed roof needs the bitumous felt removed and replaced whilst we have a settled spell of weather

Got the shed roof done and fitted a new facia board as well, its a bit startling isn't it?

15w-17.jpg

Did a short spell in the WS as well, wanted a strip to decorate the lid, so put this piece in the thicknesser to clean it up and brought it down to around 3mm.

13w-14.jpg

Lid decorated and should finish off box today.

14w-14.jpg

Put the roundover bit to carcass horizontal edges plus the lid and fitted yesterday. Plus cut the bottom sliders to size, needs cleaning up, sanding then a polish and will then be posted to a friend.

17w.jpg

Attachments

• 17w.jpg
    17w.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,156
Got the sanding and a clean up done, I think it went well.

18w-13.jpg

The appearance before a coat of shellac and wax finish applied, also the underside shows how the sliders are fitted.

19w-14.jpg

20w-13.jpg

Finally, photograph of tissue box which is being posted to a friend, in addition a kitchen spatula holder for a daughter which she requested after there last visit

21w-12.jpg

I have now a few more requests to fulfill so looks like my woodworking season is underway.

Back