First time using cascamite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrspach

Established Member
Reaction score
Red few threads about this glue and as I needed long open time I went for it.
Firstly bought fresh cascamite from well known wood working merchant. Followed mixing procedure 2 cascamite to 1 water (measure weight) after mixing the mixture was more crumbles than "cream" consistency. Followed advice to add another 20% of water to make it more runny but it was still more stiff paste than cream. Is this normal?

No, that doesn't sound good. After initial mixing it should be in the crumbly state but after another 30secs or so it should have a phase change and turn to a creamy consistency, think yoghurt. How long did you leave it before adding the extra water?
Many members here on the forum have reported similar problems in recent months.
Did you try applying it to a piece of wood? If so was there any sign of free water?
I suggest leaving a small mix in a pot overnight and see how it's locking in the morning. It should be rubbery and then go rock hard after a few more hours curing.
Brian

Did the rookie mistake. Had a big project (at least for me) waiting for glue up and after few weeks of being very hesitant bit the bullet and went for it. I mixed it up for about 3-4 mins in total. There were no signs of free water at all. I have added the extra water about half way through. I will have a look in the pot today as there was left over glue and we will see. Not looking forward to taking it all apart and cleaning if it is not done. Any advice on how to take it apart without too much of damage such as heat etc?

There are people who have been using cascamite for decades that have had some serious issues with it in the last year so you're not alone.

The glue-up may come apart fairly easily with a rubber mallet if the glue hasn't gone off at all, otherwise there's no real easy way of dealing with hard cascamite.

12 months ago I bought Cascamite on eBay
Tested quite a bit before using, and it is good
However, I always leave 24 hours to set properly

I have never used cascamite before. After seeing and reading few threads about it I did not want to risk to have bad glue in first place and that is why i went to well known dealer to purchase it from.
It was now sitting for more than 24 hours. It will be difficult to recognise if the glue did the job as the carcass which I was making is quite self locking once I had all pieces in and joints were tight. We will see if I was lucky enough.

I have never used cascamite before. After seeing and reading few threads about it I did not want to risk to have bad glue in first place and that is why i went to well known dealer to purchase it from.
It was now sitting for more than 24 hours. It will be difficult to recognise if the glue did the job as the carcass which I was making is quite self locking once I had all pieces in and joints were tight. We will see if I was lucky enough.
How has the residue in the pot gone off?

I have to say that I am very worried as the glue in the pot was in places hard and crumbly and in other places a bit flexible. I peeled off some squeeze out from the piece I was making as I have missed bits and it was not too difficult. However I did not have yet time to plane it.I had only chance to gently push diagonally corner to corner and it was solid no creaks or movement. I guess only time will show. And powder which was left in the tab I bought will go to the bin and hopefully my future projects won't be such a pain.

Even though the glue may be a bit doubtful, it will have some strength and if your joints are well made, you'll be OK. What is it you're making?
I would do a few test pieces. Mix up a small batch and glue a few strips of wood together, leave them to cure for a couple of days and then try and pull them apart.
Brian

With respect, I'm not sure Yojevol that you're correct in saying the results will still be reliable.

I've been using Cascamite for forty years, both as a hobbyist and professionally. I'm pretty confident that I'm handling the stuff correctly, but I can absolutely attest that there's something weird going on at the moment.

I'll get one pot that mixes up beautifully, a cream like consistency that delivers a long open time then cures to a glass hard, translucent finish. But the next pot will produce a dry, crumbly result that cures to a powdery and opaque result. As best as I can I've tested the final bond strength of the poor stuff and it's just a fraction of what I expect.

If you do a date/test every time with excess Cascamite glue
Then after two days hammer it without mercy -- you will know how good/bad
0002gluetest .JPG

I am making a saw till. What Custard describes as second opaque option is what has happened to me. So far did not have time to play with the whole thing but I am still hopeful.

I can report it is bad. Some of the joints loosened just from vibration of sander I was sanding it with and some still hold. The glue which I can see is still opaque. Now my next question is how to fix this as taking it apart will highly likely destroy it as a lot of those joints were already tight while others were very loose.

If you really can't get it apart, then perhaps lots of clamps and thin CA might be the only answer if the design can't use draw boring and hardwood dowels at the joints

Back