First Table Saw (Scheppach HS105 Purchased + Review)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephdouce

Reaction score
So I've been looking for table saws and been trying to balance economy vs quality and I noticed the Evolution Rage 5S and Bosch GTS 10 XC are remarkably similar, not sure if it's a rebrand or a straight up copy but the GTS is £600 compared to Evo £250.

Sliding mitre fence, extensions on both sides. Identical power button design/placement. Maybe some minor differences in the fences but if it's a rebrand it's a steal at £250.

Any comments/suggestions?

Edit Purchased Scheppach HS105

I bought a Scheppach HS105 and tore it to pieces, this is how it turned out.

Removed fence and extending table
Didn't bother with legs
Removed front and rear table extensions
Fixed guide rail for fence to front of table
I then modified the fence to lock only at front, as rear lock won't fit anywhere now.

I'm going make a cross cut and mitre sled and maybe a DIY fence but see how this one works for now.

9hJsCIM.jpg

Test Cuts

Fence Settings
10mm
150mm
300mm
600mm

Observed Rips 3 of each I rotated so 10, 150, 300, 600 so I had to re-set the fence for every cut.

10.5mm 10.2mm 10.4mm
150.1mm 150.5mm 150.1mm
300mm 300mm 300mm
600mm 600mm 600mm

I had calipers for 10mm and 150mm

Next step is to fit this soft starter https://www.bricoutensili.com/en/makita-spare-parts/10264-soft-start-device-for-bench-saw-makita-mlt100.html

Definitely not a rebrand. Similar design to a limited extent but when you have a portable light weight base housing a saw blade and relevant table / fence / slide mechanism there isn't much you can do differently design wise. There is no link between these two machines other the intended function in my opinion. Also most decent outlets (FFX, etc) sell the GTS10XC for less than £500.
The Evo will be less well built than the Bosch in terms of materials, QC, etc but in the context of the price points I very much doubt you are getting twice your money's worth on the Bosch if cost is a driver for you. Few things to note, the Bosch is 2.1Kw with a brake comparative to the Evo's 1.8Kw motor with no brake function. The Bosch also has constant current control whereas the Evo doesn't appear to. That said I'm going to guess they are both brushed motors so both likely to be loud.
Also the Bosch looks better equipped for dust collection. The only slight advantage I can see with the Evo is the difference in cut height at 83mm (4mm more than the Bosch's 79mm). I suspect you will almost definitely find the EVo mitre gauge useless whereas the Bosch I'm not so sure.
The most common tool regret I hear online and otherwise is that of table saw's in the sub £500 price bracket. I often hear people lamenting that they should have got the next model up or actually end up exchanging with the vendor for a better model.

My opinion (for what it's worth);
If you need the portability then I guess this is possibly earning money for you in which case look towards the Bosch end of that market. However if you are looking for a stationary unit I'd be inclined to look for a cast iron top equivalent with a mitre slot (or two) and 10" blade powered by an induction motor.

josephdouce":1oi4mhwb said:
So I've been looking for table saws and been trying to balance economy vs quality and I noticed the Evolution Rage 5S and Bosch GTS 10 XC are remarkably similar, not sure if it's a rebrand or a straight up copy but the GTS is £600 compared to Evo £250.

Sliding mitre fence, extensions on both sides. Identical power button design/placement. Maybe some minor differences in the fences but if it's a rebrand it's a steal at £250.

Any comments/suggestions?
Do you need a work site style saw?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

No, I was looking for one to build in to my bench, looking for a cast iron one now, as that seems a good option. I don't need anything huge as I will have additional support from my work bench which is 2m X 2m and will never leave my garage once installed.

josephdouce":3skhb8ek said:
No, I was looking for one to build I to my bench, looking for a cast iron one now.
I assume you mean 'to build a bench'? I built my bench without a tablesaw, so definitely not necessary, but they are useful.
If you are looking at around the 500-600 budget the Axminster AC216TS is worth a look. I was in Axminster in North Shields at the weekend and they have them there if you need a hands-on. Great store, with plenty of tool candy there :)

josephdouce":23cmtkfa said:
There are some key differences. It used to be that the old Axminster TS200 was basically the same as this.

The new AC216 is now very different. It has full cast iron cabinet saw style trunnions which keep the blade centred in the table. The table is larger and the fence is much improved. As is the dust collection.

Not sure how much space you have, but, IMO the slider has limited utility in a small single garage workshop. Takes up too much space.

Draper do a 200mm cast iron saw with 1.1Kw induction for a little over £400. Can't comment on quality and the table looks a little small but given your bench area it may be an option.

Yandles are a good source.

That Scheppach is a little less in Poolewood as well.

Yea looks like they made come improvements, the Charnwood 619, Scheppach TS82 and Draper 82108 all seem to be the same saw. Also can get the slider for the Axminster. I have a double garage, plenty of room.

The main complaint that comes up on here is the slop in the mitre gauge and slots on most table saws, with the side cast iron table, the mitre gauge is redundant, I have never used the mitre gauge on my table saw.

There is a brand new Draper complete kit on Ebay right now with courier option. They are asking 395 or best offer plus £75 shipping.

Do a search for 'BRAND NEW Draper CTS200 Cast Iron Table Saw'.

Not mine and no idea whose it is.

That's more than what they were selling them new last year isn't it? I thought they were less than £300...

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Think I'm gonna get the Draper and build a cross cut sled or maybe buy the additional slide for mitre's as I don't need to spend the additional 250 to get the extensions as I'm gonna build it into my current bench. Bit of compromise but I still get the cast iron table and the induction motor.

If its mostly cross cuts and mitres you are needing it for you may wish to consider a sliding mitre saw instead, most table saws are good for ripping timber into smaller sections, but for cross cutting and mitres the correct tool is more accurate if set up true.

Back