First table saw advice - £600-£700 budget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullabeer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking for a table saw that I can use in my double garage to do 'weekend warrior' type work. Been looking at the Dewalt 625 which gets good reviews etc, but wondering if it's the best bet as I'm not using it on site work.

Need something I can create cross-cut jigs etc for, and can rip 8x4 sheets down the length, so 600(ish)mm rip capacity.

Any advice anyone can offer? I'd so second hand, but been looking for a while (based outside edinburgh) and nothing of any quality comes up.

Thanks in advance

I am in the same page with you (hammer)
Is it worth to spend that much? what is the advantage of the expensive one? (Vs 2-300 from homebase)?

DeWalt 7491, I have it and i'm delighted with it.

2000w, 820mm rip capacity, nice fence, good dust collection.

Got mine for £699 on Amazon. Just checked it's now £1000+ but the price is very volatile, goes up and down like a yoyo.

From looking here > https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/DeWalt-D ... B00KAFRUQM it was just £750 2 weeks ago. So if you're not in a hurry I'm sure the price will come down again in time.

There's a smaller version for about £400, DeWalt 745. More or less same machine just a tad less power and smaller table.

Yeah I'd have liked that saw, but it's constantly out of stock or over inflated on price.

I wondered about the cheap-ish Charnwood saws. Reviews seem mixed. Really not sure a Job-site saw will leave me wanting more, but as a beginner it's hard to tell. I hate getting into a hobby and regret every purchase within a year. I'd rather pay a little more and have something last me 5 years.

I really can't knock my old Scheppach TKU table saw, I bought it secondhand with the thought of "It'll do for now until I get something nicer" and about 6 years later I still have it! 300mm blade with 4" of cut (I reckon you could get a 400mm blade in it if you cut away a couple of pieces of non-structural metal), Plenty of power with electronic braking, dead accurate for ripping, has a crosscutting sliding table although I've never attached it, Guarding is a little pants though and mine didn't come with a riving knife, been meaning to make one though.

Might be worth keeping an eye out for an Old Wadkin, Multico, Startrite or Sedgwick and see if any sellers are willing to help with shipping even if you're paying a little extra it's worth it for the lifetime quality tool and the better resale value.

Whenever I'm looking for machines I'm always cursing that they're up in Edinburgh or Glasgow :mrgreen: !

fullabeer":1tssku30 said:
Hi Guys,

Looking for a table saw that I can use in my double garage to do 'weekend warrior' type work. Been looking at the Dewalt 625 which gets good reviews etc, but wondering if it's the best bet as I'm not using it on site work.

Need something I can create cross-cut jigs etc for, and can rip 8x4 sheets down the length, so 600(ish)mm rip capacity.

Any advice anyone can offer? I'd so second hand, but been looking for a while (based outside edinburgh) and nothing of any quality comes up.

Thanks in advance
You aren't going to be ripping full size sheet goods down on a small table saw. It is a bad experience IMO. Much better a tracksaw for that.

If the saw doesn't have to be portable I would take a look at the Axminster CT216TS. It replaces the TS200.

No other saw around this price level has what it has, with a cast iron top with proper trunnions that are mounted to the chassis rather than the top. A lot quieter than the site saws as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

After a couple of years trying to find a low priced large table saw i finally bought a De Walt 745.
It has exceeded all my expectations by a long way :shock: =D>

Yes the table is alloy, but its very strong.
The fence is amazing thing that you need to play with to understand just how versatile it is.
Watch some tube videos.
If you want to rip very large panels all day long this is not for you, but if you want a versatile machine that can be moved to one side to make room for larger projects, you really should consider this.

Can you tell I'm a convert? =D> =D> =D> =D>

If you're patient you will find a nice old cast iron saw where you live.
Keep an eye on Gumtree and eBay, I often see tablesaws in Edinburgh going for just a few hundred quid.
Proper 3 phase machines can be got for a bargain, for some reason, no one wants to know that you can easily run them from a
13a plug using a 100 quid VFD.
If you choose a single phase machine, you can only have a max rating of 2hp on a 13a plug, unless you've got 16a plugs, as the startup
of a single phase motor has a large draw for a second or two.

Had a look around and couldn't find a saw near you
The best example I could find of a bargain is this Wadkin on eBay for 500 quid.
You should be able to get one for cheaper than that locally if you wait

Attachments

• wadkin.jpg
    wadkin.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 635
From a light-weight site saw to a gigantic old piece of cast iron - I think that about covers all that can be recommended :)

Maybe someone can throw in a Felder panel saw...

I had pretty much the same dilemma last year when i was after a new TS. I was convinced that i needed a cast iron top and wasgoing to buy the TS250 + sliding table

in the end i did the 100+ mile round trip to my nearest axminster store, spent a good 2 hours looking at and discussing TS's with the staff there.

I ended up buying a Bosch GTS10XC (despite a few dodgy reviews) and have been pretty pleased with it.

The sliding carriage is a bit loose on these, so the first thing I did was build a crosscut sled, then a 45 deg mitre cross cut sled. I have to say every cut now is bang on. Oh I did replace the std blade with an axi 80T - leaves a very nice finish.

I have cut a few large boards with this, but the main problem is manhandling them in a single garage space, so they either get cut by timber merchant to size, or i get the track saw out and break them up that way. Up to 600 mm wide though i have been fine with.

One other thing is that this "site " saw is quite big, so i ended up buying the bosch stand for it. At the time i thought it was a bit of luxury, but now i love it. The saw basically flips onto its side, gets wheeled out of the way when not in use, and takes all of 10 seconds to get set back up when i want to use it.

It was definitely worth my while going and having a look & being able to do side by side comparison - so that would be my advice.

I now don’t know whether to go cheap on an evolution rage fury 5s which seems to do well on YouTube and have a good fence, or go bigger with a Charnwood w619 or w629 with its 10” blade.

I do like the Dewalt and the Bosch with the thought of building them into a new workbench.

Here’s where I’m at on the tools I “think” I need:

Table saw -£500-£700
Pillar drill - £200
Track saw - purchased
1/4” router(s) - owned
Hand tools - various owned
Trend t11 - £300
Bits to make a router table -£200 incl plate
Hand plane -£120

Would like a bandsaw but don’t think I have space for it. I have chisels and a small number of clamps and other power tools. No domino, or any other Festool loveliness.

fullabeer":2yq97bvv said:
I now don’t know whether to go cheap on an evolution rage fury 5s which seems to do well on YouTube and have a good fence, or go bigger with a Charnwood w619 or w629 with its 10” blade.

I do like the Dewalt and the Bosch with the thought of building them into a new workbench.

Here’s where I’m at on the tools I “think” I need:

Table saw -£500-£700
Pillar drill - £200
Track saw - purchased
1/4” router(s) - owned
Hand tools - various owned
Trend t11 - £300
Bits to make a router table -£200 incl plate
Hand plane -£120

Would like a bandsaw but don’t think I have space for it. I have chisels and a small number of clamps and other power tools. No domino, or any other Festool loveliness.
You probably need to decide what you are doing/making first.

In your initial post you mentioned large sheet goods - you already have a tracksaw for that, a site style saw isn't really the tool for breaking up large sheets.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Bodgers":ktcxnejd said:
From a light-weight site saw to a gigantic old piece of cast iron - I think that about covers all that can be recommended :)

Maybe someone can throw in a Felder panel saw...

No two humans are alike........ however much both salesmen and government bureaucrats wish we were all alike.

Many of my "first" machines were old and large and heavy requiring a thorough rebuild before I could put them to use.
-My first planer/thicknesser was approximately 60 years old and halfways disassembled in cardboard boxes and the only thing I had to go by when I put it back together was common sence. There was no manual and no pictures. I just had to figure out everything and repair all damage before I could even test run it.
-My first bandsaw was approximately 100 years old and needed modern guards and modern guides and a proper conversion from belt transmission to motor power before I could even test run it.
-My first table saw (actually dad's which I put to use) needed a rebuild before I started using it. Dad had bought it from my uncle who had built it from scratch as his first proper table saw.
-My first drill press needed a small rebuild. The quill shell was damaged so it had to be replaced and a couple of bearings were bad.

Actually my uncle built his first planer/thicknesser from scratch on the frame from a scrapped printing press. He has used it for 40 or 50 years during which time he has built at least 4 wooden boats and it is still going strong.

So starting out with a secondhand cabinet saw like a Wadkin-Bursgreen 10" AGS is a very good and realistic option. Provided that the original poster is that sort of person.

I wish I was that sort of person, but anything requiring a rebuild would remain in bits. Time is my enemy, so the projects I take on are fairly small.

A router table needs a 1/2" router, especially as you say you want to make cabinets.

fullabeer":1snyknew said:
Mostly looking at home projects like book cases and cabinetry

I'd forget about the table saw for now, and get an MFT-style top for your track saw (check ebay suppliers). And a simple biscuit joiner to make joints easy (or whatever you prefer).

That's the kit I used to make various book-cases.

I now have a massive 3ph table saw which takes up lots of space, and it's great- but you'll need to tweak a new tool, when you could just be building a bookcase today with the kit you have?

Back