First since mid-August

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll be brief(ish), because I don't want to ruffle any feathers with my self centred bleating. Some folks are already aware of all of this, but here goes.......
I had my first time behind the lathe since August 15th at the weekend. I can be specific about the date, because the very next day our son came home from work after a nine hour shift, feeling unwell, and within an hour was blue lighted to the local hospital and was awaiting surgery for a ruptured appendix. The rupture caused severe sepsis, which is what was making him feel unwell.
During the weeks that followed, I was attacked by a junkie I caught trying to steal my belongings; my car needed work doing for the MOT; I was knocked for six by a nasty virus; I was whipped in to hospital myself with a suspected heart attack; and my father in law has been in and out of intensive care with pneumonia brought on by COPD.

To say turning (and entering any "fun" competitions) is at the bottom of the heap of what I see as important is a mild understatement. As things stand, due to other commitments I only get a few hours on a Saturday to myself in any case.

Anyhoo.........
Inspired by Chris Fisher, who for those who don't know is a blind woodturner and also makes horror props, I have made a mini vampire killing kit. This doubles up as a pen to sign the vampire's death warrant, thanks to Cap'n Eddie's idea of using a Bic biro refill to make a cheapo pen.
killer3_zps2abfbd81.jpg

Wood is oak, sustainably sourced, and finish is friction polish
killer1_zps29b43c3b.jpg

Apologies if the pics are a bit big, photobucket seems to be broken ATM.

Cheers folks, all is now as well as can be expected. I've had the all clear from the doc, the boy is back at work, the car passed the MOT, the junkie is in prison, and the father in law..... well.... he ain't going to get much better due to the nature of the disease.

I have really missed my shed, and have enjoyed my time back in it again. The only downside is I'm re-discovering my bad choice of lathe when I "upgraded" from the Myford. The DML36 is very under-powered compared with what I have been used to. I really don't think I should be able to stop the motor by hand, but it has been tested thoroughly and given a clean bill of health, the start capacitor is new, and the correct voltage is being delivered at the windings.
I suppose every cloud has a silver lining. If I get a catch, the lathe just stops instead of the timber being hurled off at alarming speed. :D

I think Christmas and next birthday will see this machine being replaced by something more powerful.

Nice one, just in time for Halloween!
That's why we turn isn't it, to forget about all the bs for a while....

I shouldn't fret about missing lathe time. I have hardly seen my lathe since spring until last week as that time of year is busy for me on the farm. Anyway it would be a shame to be stuck in a shed when its good weather. Just take care of yourself and family and enjoy it when you get time to spare and (to use a naval term) rollocks to anyone else.

Latest posts

Back