First scroll Saw practices.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Established Member
Reaction score
After building my Shed/Workshop last year I wanted to start a little hobby so I got myself a cheap Aldi Scroll Saw just before Christmas.
Never done much woodwork until I built the shed so have very limited skills but had a go with a couple of bits of scrap that I had lying around.

First was my niece's Name.
40638280411_db3fca2bd1_o.jpg

Then my 6 year old niece asked me to make a Christmas present from her to her mam and Dad (my first commision :wink: :lol: ).
She told me she wanted a heart with mammy and daddy and a couple of small hearts on it. I got her to write her name on the bottom for a more personal touch and used a cheap Lidl wood burning tool to burn the letters on it, then gave it a coat of stain and a couple of coats of clear varnish. My finishing skills need a lot of practice :( :oops: :oops:
40638280451_5c47edd62b_o.jpg

Next was my first go at Segmented scroll work. Found a pattern on the internet for a bear that looked fairly easy to start with.
40638280761_52385e7dde_o.jpg

When I made it I stained the body, head, arms, legs and outer ears to make them a bit darker and left the inner ears, muzzle, and the pads on the arms and legs light coloured, but when I put on a couple of coats of clear varnish they don't look much different now :( .

So in conclusion. Lots of practice needed, especially the finishing touches :oops: :roll: .

A great start. I’ve only recently started out with the scroll saw myself and find it very addictive. I like doing intarsia at the moment. Probably try some fret work later in the year. There’s lots of free patterns on the web but I found that buying a few books helped me a lot. The books had good instructions on how to do intarsia and also had some lovely patterns to try as well. The books are not too expensive, between £10 and £15. Got mine off eBay and Amazon books. Kathy wise books and Judy gale Roberts books. Mostly animal or bird patterns. Have fun and look forward to seeing some more of your work.

Hi, I too have only been scrollsawing this winter and find it most addictive. Likewise I bought several books on line. Wood had been a problem but now use local wood/boat yards and friends,(even had one friend trying to push a three foot length of wood through my letter box). They look good small pieces to start,you’ll soon won’t to have a go at a larger project. Enjoy.
George

Thanks for the encouraging words, trying to decide what to try next :D .

I presume you are aware of Steve Goods site?

Plenty of free patterns on there to keep you going for a while :)

Good start shaggy. :D I find lettering especially difficult, but the "Natasha" looks great.

+1 for Steve Good, also when on Youtube, do a search for "Scrolling", you'll get plenty of hits, many very useful for the beginner.

AES

whatknot":2yh77p1p said:
Yes, I did quite a bit You Tube watching when I first got the saw as I didn't know where to start :oops: :lol: .

Shaggy":14o6u63t said:
whatknot":14o6u63t said:
Yes, I did quite a bit You Tube watching when I first got the saw as I didn't know where to start :oops: :lol: .

I think you've already made a good start.

Keep it up and you'll soon be an expert.

Regards

Phill

Thanks Phill.
I think expert is a bit optimistic, average maybe, but not expert :wink: :lol: .

I decided to combine the name and Teddy Bear for my nieces bedroom door.
I just drilled a couple of 6mm holes in the legs, T and S for dowels then glued them together.
I put small hanger on the back and now she has it hanging on her door :D .

40843926171_04ebe349d5_o.jpg

Back