First Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daiboy1980

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to forum so Hi.

I am slowly building up my tool kit, I have all the basic hand tools and I would like to have a router.

I would describe myself as a hobby woodworker, I undertake small projects such as boxes, toys, etc

I am looking to start larger projects such as work benches etc.

I have been looking for a router up to £200.

IS the Makita RT0700C any good or the Makita RP0900x?

Do i need to use 1/2' or is 1/4 sufficient for my basic needs?

I have been told by a friend to buy Makita as he swears by them.

Cheers

For a first and single I would definately go for 1/2" if you want to use it on large stuff. You can always get a 1/4" collet for use on smaller cutters if you wish. It may even come with one. As you do more and more, you may well get yourself a small router for using hand held, and leave the big one in a table.

With a £200 budget I'd either get a Hitachi MV12? or a Triton TRB001. Both would be good for you and both will also go in a router table well if you decide to do that at a later date. Some people find them a bit heavy for hand work though.

Thanks guys, the Hitachi had caught my eye.

Do i need to spend this money or woudl a £100 router do the job for my needs?

Or willi jsut be buying a new one in a years as the features are limited?

Hello mate
I would be looking, for £200, to buy a half inch and quarter inch routers. I would be watching the for sale section like a hawk, but also watch ebay for something like an Elu MOF96 and MOF711. These are the original, and IMO still the best, and are copied even now by many companies including Trend, De walt and CMT. I think this speaks volumes. For £200 you should be able to get good examples of each.
A quarter inch router is FAR easier to control than a half, and is useful for a great number of jobs including on large projects. In fact to be honest the only time I really use a half inch router freehand is to true up an edge or cut worktops. That said I do have ten or twelve of 'em, so I guess I can't really say they are not useful can I?
My quarter inch router is, right now, sitting on top of the half inch router in the tool cabinet which means it has been used more recently. I rest my case. :lol:
HTH
Neil

Trend T5 for hand held use, have a couple of these in my workshop and use them daily - Highly recommended

Triton 1/2" router for router table mounting.

I consider myself a newbie/hobby woodworker, although I have been making sawdust for the past 6 or 7 years.
The first router I ever bought was several years ago from B & Q, it was only a cheap diy entry level router made by Trend but under another trade name (can't remember the name now though but think it was T-Tec.)
Anyway it turned out to not be very good.
I later went on to buy a 1/2" Makita 3612 router and I have to say although it was 3 times the price of the first router I bought it is 10 times better!
Ultra reliable, powerful and does everything I ever ask of it, also should I ever require any spares for it they are fairly easily sourced.
The only thing I would say against it is that it is a bit bulky for smaller type jobs, for example routing out hinge recesses on doors, although it still can be used for this.
Although the ideal situation in my opinion is to have a larger 1/2" router and a smaller 1/4" router to cover all bases.
If I was to go back in time and buy my first router again I would spend a bit more money (£250+), buy a good quality 1/2" router with a reliable pedigree and it would be 240 volt (compatible with a router table with an NVR switch).
Later on when funds allow I would also invest in a smaller 1/4" router to use on smaller projects.

Thanks for all your advice guys.

There is a chance I could get a MAkita 1/2' RP1801X for under £200.

Would this be a wise investment and also in the future is it possible to table mount this router?

Thanks again

Daiboy1980":27ms973n said:
Thanks for all your advice guys.

There is a chance I could get a MAkita 1/2' RP1801X for under £200.

Would this be a wise investment and also in the future is it possible to table mount this router?

Thanks again

If you make the table then you can fit any router in it I would think..

The Triton MOF001 and TRB001 have a very simple means of table top height adjustment using a crank handle (which can be bought, included with the router or made) so I am considering that one. I did ask for opinions on the Triton routers in another thread but not had any feedback as yet.

The other attraction with the Triton is you can switch between plunge and fixed with a rack and pinion depth adjustment which I can see having its uses. The 2000W TRB001 comes in at just over budget at £240 with free delivery direct from Triton but you get the height adjuster crank with it, the MOF001 comes in under budget at £187 but does not include the crank.

I am tempted to go with the MOF001 as it is significantly lighter and a bit more compact than its bigger brother so a bit easier on the hands when used as a plunge

http://www.tritontools.uk.com/routers.html

HI the Triton MOF001 looks tempting, however the Makita for £200 also looks like a bargain.

Decisions decisions!

I have used a lot of Makita gear over the years and can't recall ever feeling disappointed with any of them, but the convenience of the easy table top adjustment sways me toward the Triton - setting the height seems to be the most time consuming part of the process with the garbage table I have at the moment Grrrr.. Spares are also easily obtained which puts it a few rungs up the ladder from the far east cheapo routers.

Still, hard one to call, the makita name is very tempting I have to admit :D

A late entry to this thread so fingers crossed this post will get read.

I've just been reading this post with interest. I know nothing at all about routers but I need to cut a 40mm thick worktop to length and from what I've read I need a hand held router to make a good job of it. I've taken a look at the Triton MOF001 and to my inexperienced eye this looks like it would be up to the job but I'd like someone to confirm this.

Any comments please?

If it is a one-off kitchen worktop job you can hire a router and kitchen worktop jig from most tool hire shops.
A suitable router for the job will have a 1/2" collet capacity and a motor of at least 1500 watts +.
As I say if it's a one-off job you might be better off hiring one.

Thanks roughcut - good advice, however, there is the possibility of other jobs in the future and I quite like the idea of having one to hand. I notice you specify a 1500W machine, the Triton MOF001 is a little shy of this at 1400W but otherwise it looks quite a good buy at £190 which includes a 1/2" collet - see the Triton link posted above. Do you think this is worth considering or not?

ACM911":2ylbhfof said:
Thanks roughcut - good advice, however, there is the possibility of other jobs in the future and I quite like the idea of having one to hand. I notice you specify a 1500W machine, the Triton MOF001 is a little shy of this at 1400W but otherwise it looks quite a good buy at £190 which includes a 1/2" collet - see the Triton link posted above. Do you think this is worth considering or not?
Don't underestimate the power needed to route worktops. TBH although 1500 watts is the suggested min. I would get something closer to 2000 watts. For that you will get a better machine more able to last and do worktops without struggling too much.

So i would suggest something along the lines of these

http://www.axminster.co.uk/dewalt-dw625 ... rod577266/

http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-rp230 ... rod796942/

http://www.axminster.co.uk/trend-trend- ... rod719684/

or the more powerful of the 2 triton routers.

I use a bosch GOF2000 for cutting my worktops and have done for at least 10 years

It is only used for worktops or other type template works
It is also a heavy bit of kit and doesn't tend to bounce around following a template if you try and take too much off in a single pass
I did get rid of the guide bush system that comes with it As I needed the versatility the trend Unibase offers
( you get more guide bushes and accesories to fit it )

The other thing to know about is not all cutters are equall Ignore the cheap and nasty sets that you see on Ebay etc for £5-£10
Buy something like the replacable tips from Wealdon or Titman
They will give a better finish on the mitre/joint line
The tips are cheap but the cutter shank is pricey
I personally use the titman

Roger

Triton MOF001

Tritontools.uk.com price £189.95
comes with 1/4, 8mm and 1/2 inch collet, plus winder handle-and free delivery
Total £189.95

Hightykes trading price £187.50 + £9.99 delivery
no mention of collets or winder handle (source :- E-bay)
Total price £197.49

Hi

As a newbie I got my first router last year- a 1/4" Bosch POF 1200 on offer on Amazon. It's really good for free hand, & I like it, but it's not really suitable for the bigger jobs or table mounting. I've just been given a Rutlands table so I'm going to get a bigger one to hang under it. I've seen all good reviews for Trend & Dewalt, but I'm going for a Triton because you can change cutters from above & the winding handle, as I think these will be the most difficult things for me as a hobbyist.
I did notice that a lot of sites offer Triton as 1/4" and 1/2", but you have to be careful as they're often either/or (UK model is 1/4" & 8mm collets, or 1/2" & 12mm). Spare collets or reducers seem to be easily available (eg from toolsparesonline), but it is confusing. There's another thread in this forum somewhere which gives a lot more detail.

Back