First Router help...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joec1

Reaction score
New person alert (Hello all)

Right… the situation I have is that I am keen to get into woodwork (aiming on eventually becoming good enough to make myself a kitchen)

So... back down to the real world, im in need of a few tools to get me up and walking, My first project (if you could call it that) is a few chopping boards. I’ve researched woods and design options and have bought / cut / stuck and sanded them ready for edges to be routed.

So first on my shopping list is a router. Im not really after anything too razzle dazzle, but would like it to be half descent and last me for a good few projects before it needs upgrading. Unfortunately my budget also follows this (in that it needs to be under £100).

I am a complete novice, so don’t want to spend £100’s only to struggle to use them to their potential.

Would welcome any input people can give or suggestions of models worth following up on.

Cheers

I would suggest it might be a good idea to visit your local
woodwork/ timber suppler. Usually there is someone on hand
with loads of experience who can help you. Also they have Demo
days when you can get hands on with machinery.
Willy.

Cheers.

as there are only a handful of places near to me that hold open / advice days other than the usual B&Q or Homebase staff who guess their way around. I was hoping for a little more guidance really.

but not to worry.

Cheers for the reply :)

going to read some online reviews in the hope of working them out

Tooljack, thanks for contributing but how can you recommend something when you so obviously haven't read the original post properly. The value of this forum is in the considered advice members give not in just rattling off the names of tools we have heard of.

Joe, if all you initially want to do is light work such a profiling edges on your chopping boards or similar I would probably go for something second hand, off ebay for example. There are usually plenty of examples such as DeWalt 613, 615, Trend T5, Bosch GOF900 that would be ideal and a great deal better than most of the stuff available in the sheds. If you must buy new and I would understand why, then some of the Ryobi kit seems a fair bet but I would probably go for one of the green (diy) Bosch models. Although I haven't owned one of the green routers, I have in the past owned other green items and found them to me reasoable quality and fairly priced, but do shop around.

You will of course have to upgrade later if you want to build something like a kitchen but by then you will have some experience on which to base your choice.

HTH

Richard

why not put a wanted ad in the for sale section? They do come up from time to time, and whilst you don't know the stuff any better than you would on eBay, i would hope that if somebody on the forum says that it hasn't been abused, then it won't have.

Your first router should definitely be a 1/4" model. In my opinion, it doesn't even need to be a big name model (DeWalt, Trend, Bosch blue). Many 1/4" routers, even some shed models, are perfectly capable of light duty work such as /molding / rounding over edges, running shallow rebates or making grooves.

One of my first routers was a 1/4" Power Devil (1050W model), and it is still the one I use for a lot of light duty work : I bought it ("as new") off EBay, and have never regretted the purchase. It is compatible with a Trend fine height adjuster (obtained later, also off EBay) : I find this very useful addition to any router (many cheap 1/4" routers do not have a fine-height adjustment capacity, even reto-fitted, which I think is a distinct disadvantage - a 1/4" router is for often used for fine work, for which accurate control of cutter height is important). It also accepts the Trend-standard template bushes, which you may well eventually find yourself wanting to use.

When you move up to making your kitchen, you will almost certainly need a 1/2" router, which is usually a much heavier and more powerful beast (to cut thick worktops, a job really beyond a 1/4" router). But you will find this is a clumsy tool for light duty work, and I'm sure you will never regret having purchased and owning a 1/4" router for finer work.

Joe - I bought my first router earlier this year, and after comparing everything in my budget I plumped for the Bosch POF 1400 ACE

It was better value when I got it earlier this year (£78) - Amazon have increased it to £87. but you may find it cheaper elswhere.

It's obviously not top of the range, but it meets my needs more than adequately and seems to have everything you could want in the way of features for under 100.

My first router cost £30 from aldi, still going strong today, in fact when having a clear out I ditched an old dewalt in favour of the aldi one. I do also use a trend t11 for any big work, but still for £30 the aldi one is perfect and if it breaks I can bin it and find another.

I have wasted more money on cheap routers than any other tool. I have had 3 B&Q style (I didn't learn) and they work to a fashion but ultimately I throw them away.

If I had my time again I would get the best second hand high end router I could find from here or other forums knowing that it will realise most of its value if you have to sell it on later

I agree with getting a 1/4 inch or 8mm as a starter unless you are going to be doing worktops or fielding panels to start with.

My first router was also a 1/4 power devil that was brought for around £10 off a market. Its the old trend remake (hence the trend stuff fits) Its this one http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/power ... r/90885876 .

I still have it and use it professionally. It does only tend to get used more as a trimmer now days as I have a few larger routers and one of the handles have snapped off. I used it last 3 weeks ago when fluting some MDF.

One thing that has not been pointed out is to use good quality cutters with whatever router you end up buying. As from experience cheap cutters will just make the job 4 times harder with very bad results.

Back