First Projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
I have learned loads on this forum over the last 18 months and now I have a workshop I can actually start to do some woodworking in it. I thought I take this opportunity to show you the first two non-DIY projects that I have made with my 3 year old son as able assistant!

The first is a little pot taken straight from an old episode of the woodwrights shop. My wife uses it as a little handcream pot!
littlebox.jpg

littlebox01.jpg

The second was made as a Christmas present for our 7 month old daughter and the inspiration came from Andy's post back in august. It is made from walnut and meranti with the man made from ash. This was the first time I have tried to joint long lengths of wood and was done by hand as I have still to save pennies for a planer thicknesser. All the physical woodworking seemed to go ok but I was very disappointed by the finishing.
ziggedy_man01.jpg

ziggedy_man02.jpg

They were both lots of fun to make and I learned loads. Comments very welcome.

Thanks for reading.

H.

I've seen the hand cream pot done before, I think it was on 'The Village Carpenter' blog that I saw it...couldn't be sure though - Rob

MickCheese":qzuy5p6s said:
What is the purpose of the top little hinged lid?

I'm curious about that myself!

My best guess is that the second lid down is mounted on a slot rather than a round hole, so the top-level lid is swung out of the way to enable the second lid to be slid off of the bow-tie-shaped catch (I'm sure there's a word for that kind of fastening that I just can't bring to mind) towards the pivot, and then swung aside? So the top hinged lid would be there to secure the second lid onto the bow-tie?

Spot on Jake. That is exactly how it works.

I was lucky with the grain pattern as I cut it from a large scrap of what I think is beech and the grain was completely hidden until cut.

Latest posts

Back