First project finally completed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddler

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I've been reading the site and lurking for quite a while now, but I thought now I've finished my first project I should join up and show you all :)

This is a sideboard I created for our hall. I got the overall dimensions from a peice of furniture we borrowed from my brother-in-law

pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

The main part of it is made with maple veneered MDF, and the contrasting edging strips are elm.
I tried to keep it nice and simple, as I don't have many tools, and even less experience!

Let me know what you think - I'm always interested in constructive critisism!

Andrew.

welcome to the forum and a nice piece to start off with. Good job =D>

Andy

Welcome to the forum. Looks lovely. A cracking start!

Adam

Thaks guys, I must say, this is the friendliest forum I've ever read, and also the most useful.

I'll stop lurking now then!

I'm always pleased to see someone accomplish something so well with limited resources at hand. That is very well done indeed. Some people will probably tell they could not have pulled it off so well even with all the bits n bobs they have in their workshops! :D

Just out of interest, how much do you reckon this cost you?

I also think it looks rather oriental, perhaps Asian?

The choice of handles was excellent and complements the rest of the cabinet's shape so well. But how many people would have perhaps mitred the strips of elm that edge the top?

I guess it's only on to project 2 from here then! :D

Andrew,
First Project! excellent job. Would be an excellent job even for a 100th project. Well Done

Andy

Gee and that's your first project - well done

What's next, a copy of John Makepiece's Holly Chair? :wink:

Welcome to this very friendly and super useful community.

That's a piece of furniture a seasoned woodworker would be proud to own up to. For a first project, it's very impressive.

Gill

Since you asked for some +ve feedback, I would have made the drawers shorter and the cupboards higher (proportions are very hard to get right - see my latest projects where I'm running into proportion problems - solved now I think photos on the way):

http://croeso.typepad.com/photos/owains_arts_n_crafts/index.html
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7887&highlight=

And maybe the direction of the grain on the legs maybe be better running the other way, and maybe the centre style between the cupboards could have been thinner.

But hey now I'm being super picky, its a nice piece and I like your combinations of wood. And exceptional if you only have a few tools

For maple I always like to keep it white, by applying super blond shellac and then white soap wax. But hey that's just me I just love he whiteness of maple or sycamore and feel it's such a pity what oil does to it.

Well done Toddler can't wait to see to next piece - how about tackling, as I mentioned in my last piece, John Makepiece's tour de force?
http://www.johnmakepeacefurniture.com/chairs/millennium.htm
Then we'll all keel over and give up and leave all the glory to you
:wink:

Hi Toddler, you certainly don't believe in starting small, great job.

Where did you get your maple MDF from?

looks great with the edging.

Maybe i'll get round to my first project one day :).

Thanks guys,

I think you're right about the proportions, still, you live and learn. :roll: I think the vertical grain on the cross member is the most glaring mistake, I'll have to pay more attention to things like that in the future.

I got the MDF from Ridgeons, my local building supplies centre in Cambridge - not cheap at about £45 a sheet for the 19mm stuff.

Thanks for the finishing advice, I wanted the maple to be nice and light. How would the elm come up if I finished it with the blonde shellac too? Oil just seemed like the easiest way to do it from what I'd read!

I think a box for my wife's painting stuff will be my next project - bit simpler than that chair! awesome stuff that!

Welcome to the forum. Looks lovely and a cracking first effort. I have no criticism to offer but do agree with Andy's comments.

Latest posts

Back