first project advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchip11

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Been looking for inspiration for my first project and have settled on a set of bedside draws 3 draws in Total.I intend to use a dovetail jig for the draws joints. Would biscuits be ok for the carcass ? I would like to keep the cost down and use another type of Wood for the back and draw bottoms, ideas please ?

Also Im not sure how the draws would run, can Anyone help with advice on that please ?

Mick

Cupboard backs and drawer bases are often/usually made from thin ply, though it may depend on how much weight you are going to put in the drawers.

I made my drawer bottoms in my kitchen from 6mm ply, slid into a 10mm groove on the front, sides and back. I was amazed how strong it is, they hold pans, full cutlery drawers, etc with no warping at all!!

I would say drawer slides depend on how you intend to construct the drawers and how good you want them to look. Adjustable slides make squaring up the drawer to the hole much easier. It's amazing how a drawer that is just 1mm out of square can look awful.

If you intent to keep clothes in the draws then Cedar is a very good chose. Great smell which lasts and the moths don't like it. I have done them in ply before and even a thin MDF base which at 6mm is normally fine. A nice touch for the draw base is V Tongue and Groove.

Biscuits will be fine as long as the timber is decent and thick enough.

woodchip11":2zdd6qlh said:
Thanks for the help guys. Can I buy the adjustable guides in the Big orange sheds ?

Screwfix part of The Big Orange do draw slides at a cheaper price ;-)...

Grahamshed":20qcccf5 said:
'The big Orange' ???

w545.jpg

Back