First posting of my turnings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Chaps

This is my first post of some of my turnings, what do you think?

Burr Silver Birch

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Segmented bowl made from leg offcuts
DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Mahogany and birch ply bowl

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Pete

Great maximising of the display potential with the Birch Burr, I particularly like the proportions of the first one.

Quality joints on the leg off-cut bowl, not easy to achieve unless you have your equipment set up spot on, classic shape as well.

love the first Silver Birch :lol: ..not to sure on the shape of the second one tho

And love the Ply and Mahogany Bowl ...been thinking about turning some Ply meself..will have to give it a go now

And the Segmented works for me as well

Great work =D>

Hi, Chaps

Thanks for tht comments. the second birch bowl looks better in the flesh its a difficult shape to photo.

Pete

nice wood contrasts, and I agree 100% with Chas's observations

some nice work there, finish is great.
I love the burr, got an oak burr on the go at the moment. Hope it turns out as good as yours.
Cheers
steve

Pete, those are all lovely, but in very different ways. The burr is beautiful wood and I like the way you have shaped it. Lovely finish too. I have not done any segmented turning, but between you and Chas I think I'm on my way soon. The mahogany/ply is quite special and ply is not easy to turn either is it. It doesn't arf knock the edge of your gouges quickly! Lovely finish on them all mate!

Diesel, once you have turned ply you might just change your mind! After the first ply bowl I turned I said enough, but several years later I decided that it couldn't have been as bad as I remembered so did a second. This time in French ply (YUK!). The only reason that I finished it was because I was too bloody minded not to. Looks nice now and has made a nice fruit bowl.. Good luck :shock:

Very impressive indeed - my favourites are the first Birch piece, and the mahogany / birch ply bowl. I choose those for design balance and overall shape. But technically all wow! A good eye I would say, then a bit handy with the tools too.

Very Nice. I particularly like the shape of the first birch bowl and I also like the mahogany birch ply bowl.

Hi,
Thanks for the comments.

Another one, made from sycamore harvested by my self.

DSC_0122.jpg

Pete

Can appreciate what you are trying but personally think that texturing the inside of a bowl is a mistake, if it's a 'user' then it's going to get discoloured rather quickly and if a display piece then rather bland in nature to use as a focus piece.

Was tempted to say "I can see a load of tool marks" when first viewed. :p

Hi, CHJ

My wife dosn't like it either :lol:

Pete

Hi Pete, I quite like the texture, is it carved?
Also appreciate what CHJ says, perhaps its worth tying some color.

Hi, Bemused

Hand carved with a sow-back gouge I picked up from a car boot sale.

I think its a bit Chris Pye looking.

Pete

Back