First post

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamG

Reaction score
Hi. New member. I’m a Brit living in NZ but not much woodworking forum over here. I’ve always enjoyed a bit of DIy but started doing woodworking more at the start of COVID lockdowns - so about 2 years. I’ve got a single garage sized shop at home and like making stuff for around the house/garden, and like to recycle old wood. I’m currently working on some outdoor furniture out of old Jarrah floor Joists. Here’s a couple of in progress photos.
81E4C175-B970-4426-890D-0D8178201F70.jpeg

07CA36F5-F615-4A7D-B69B-6A5A9BC79CE7.jpeg

Hi and welcome to the forum. Lots to see and learn from here. I envy you your access to the more exotic woods.

I used to visit New Zealand every year before the Lockdown. Hopefully will get back in early New year.
My SIL works in prestige government job, so it took quite a while to persuade him to drive round the big stores- Bunnings, Mitre etc to collect good quality pallets. Some really quality hardwood from Pacific region-- just make sure they are Heat Treated (HT)
We have made so much stuff out of them, he is now converted. We got into Ryobi tools-- cheap and cheerful enough for hobbyist-- And up to 4 year guarantee!!
So - welcome here and good luck with your ventures.
Oh--- and I'm so jealous of the amount of incredible driftwood you have on almost every beach. I bring a suitcase full each time I come back home ( Ireland)👍

Hi and welcome to the forum. Lots to see and learn from here. I envy you your access to the more exotic woods.
Exotic woods - nope not really, pine and MDF mostly over here. Nice NZ timber is both hard to find and very expensive and many of the species are quite soft and not that pleasant to work with. So, we envy your choice of wood and the choice in the US. I had to import all my wood and fittings for the guitars I have made, just can't get it here.
Cheers
Richard

Back