First post - MDF and rain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FitzM

Reaction score
Hello all,

Quick sob story: on Saturday I went to me local builders merchant and purchased two full sheets of 19mm MDF, which they cut to approximate size for me needs. I loaded it on the roof rack in sunshine. I popped in to my local supermarket for some bread, and emerged five minutes later and it was persisting down!

I now have one slightly bowed sheet (the top one) and three or four swollen edges on every board. (hammer) Luckily, the swelling is outside the final dimensions, and the bowed sheet will become drawer sides (bow inwards).

Maybe MR MDF next time. :lol:

Ouch! .. but yes, the weather is crazy atm. Sunny blue sky one minute and a downpour the next.

If it's any conciliation, I don't think MRMDF would have helped much. From my understanding, it's resistant to a little dampness ... as opposed to getting full on rained on! :p

should get a tarp over it next time just incase, luckily the weathers gonna be good the next few days, you were just unlucky there I think.

You know all those jobs that just need a little offcut of MDF without it being too critical - you now have a lifetime's supply!

I blame SWMBO; if she hadn't rung and asked me to pop in for a loaf, I'd have been home and unloaded before it rained. And I did have a tarp in the car.

I had the opposite problem today.

Was building some basic utility room cabinets at a customers house and was cutting all the MR MDF up on the floor outside on top of a sheet of insulation with my tracksaw. Every time I came out I had to flip the sheets over as they were cupping in the sun.

Latest posts

Back