First post, first project, many questions...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bril, i find that the width restriction on the mafell is less demanding than
you might consider. although many might
disagree there is something to be said for not going to wide on solid
wood, it really is difficult to stop it cupping or whatever, so use
properly veneered mdf or so on, with an edging, and then enhance
the whole thing with solid accents.

even david charlesworth has admitted to me in person, that for instance
and 18 inch solid wood panel is difficult to keep flat and stable.

as for the comments about using festo, it was only jealously on
my part, not complaints. :lol: :lol:

we look forward to your next posted effort

paul :wink:

Welcome to the forum!

Personally, I like the contrast of the beech and birch.

I'd also go for shellac on the inside. You can also wax on top to give a bit of extra protection - and I like the smell (I make up my own wax polish). If there is going to be lots of water you could go for melamine laquer, which gives a natural finish but is quite touch.

SL Hardwood will thickness any size rough sawn board for extra. The 19mm PAR is just the standard.

E

bril":2qaprmjv said:
Being told by Alf that my first post 'stinks' isn't a very good start!
Hopefully Neil's covered that one. Only assume I'm being serious when you see no smiling, winking, laughing, grinning, etc smilies. Quizzical and eyebrow-raised smilies usually mean "I believe this poster is talking rubbish, but I'd be obliged if they'd add some clarification before I finally decide" :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Brian L - First welcome to the forum, secondly you should expect some 'ribbing' when you post some pictures of work (which many of us would die for) and then say it's your first project.

Well you've explained the background, personally I suspect that even those DIY shelf jobs taught you quite a bit about sizing & fitting even if you didn't realise it at the time :)

Also I've found Alf's sense of humour much to my liking, had it been spoken rather than written I dare say you'd have smiled too.

Brian welcome the forum. I'm gobsmacked that's your first project. Mind you if you have the plans and the right tools for the job and can measure once cut twenty times (oh... err... thats me :wink: ) then anyone (but me) can do wonders. Be proud at what you have accomplished.

On the finishing for the inside what about Chestnut Melamine Lacquer? I may be well wrong here but wouldn't it be better if it's spills he's worried about? (Note Brian that I'm definately a beginner at the finishing lark too).

What have you planned for your seccond project? If you want a free design program to plan it try Google Sketchup which is now FREE (plug plug I blame you Dave R :lol: ) and a wonderful tool.

Latest posts

Back