First post. DIY kitchen install and doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cult

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, Fantastic forum this is. Been lurking for some time now however now that ill be doing some work about the house, i thought id join for some help on my next projects. Ill be purchasing a diy kitchen assembled and will be installing it myself. Ima handyman, have excellent DIY skills however this will be my first time tackling a full kitchen by myself. Previous ive just installed base units, and helped install worktops with another carpenter. That was years ago so ill need to refresh my memory with help on here before i tackle this full kitchen.

I have a 1/4 inch router, im thinking maybe ill need the 1/2 inch router for routering out my worktops. If so, i can hire one out for the day! Ive been looking online and seen a trend 700 jig on amazon for £89. Reading the reviews, this seems money well spent if its to be used daily however, ill only be using this maybe once, twice a year. Would there be any other decent brands cheaper. Im thinking maybe a draper kitchen router bits would be suffice if only used a few times.

Ive been needing to upgrade my chop saw for some time. Seeing as i dont want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on it, im thinking of buying the dws774. Anyone on here that can tell me the pros and cons of this tool.

Ill also be installing new pine doors, doorframes etc.. around the house however the wife is trying to coax me into going oak or walnut.

Another job ill be doing will be all my skirting boards around the house. If i remember correctly, cutting the external corners both at 46degrees is the quick method of getting them correctly cut instead of dissecting the cut in half as i would normally do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! I have an old house, 1875, and when I redid the skirts in the kitchen not a single corner was 90 degrees, had to measure each individually to get a good fit.

F.

Fitzroy":2rtz5nuz said:
Welcome! I have an old house, 1875, and when I redid the skirts in the kitchen not a single corner was 90 degrees, had to measure each individually to get a good fit.

F.

Thanks. New builds can be similar as no 90d corners. Anytime ive installed skirting, ive always dissected the corner in half with a bevel however someone mentioned to me that if i did 2x 46d cuts, its a quicker way of doing it. I dont know if its true because ive still to try it. You see, i havent installed skirting in over 2 years.

a sliding bevel is your friend, the wall angles are rarely exactly 90 degrees as well to the floor, it's not just the corners, sometimes it's only 1/2 a degree out, but it matters.

Back