First plywood satellite to be launched

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
ESA flying payloads on wooden satellite

Sponsors for Woodsat include UPM Plywoodin Finland, among the largest plywood makers in the world.

“The base material for plywood is birch, and we’re using basically just the same as you’d find in a hardware store or to make furniture,” explains Woodsat chief engineer and Arctic Astronatics co-founder Samuli Nyman. “The main difference is that ordinary plywood is too humid for space uses, so we place our wood in a thermal vacuum chamber to dry it out. Then we also perform atomic layer deposition, adding a very thin aluminium oxide layer – typically used to encapsulate electronics. This should minimise any unwanted vapours from the wood, known as ‘outgassing’ in the space field, while also protecting against the erosive effects of atomic oxygen. We’ll also be testing other varnishes and lacquers on some sections of the wood.”

So if you get bored making cabinets…..

Awesome, just like everyone calls aluminium, "aircraft grade aluminium" we will now get everyone using "aerospace grade plywood".

I feel a Dan Dare remake coming on. Our plucky lads surviving in a luxury plywood capsule on the surface of Mars when the Mekon unleashes a plague of killer termites. "Cripes sir, what shall we do now? Run to the Zylbat Digby, it's our only hope. We'll have to take our chances with the Mekon's death ray"

(Is it only me that thinks Dominic Cummings is a dead ringer for the Mekon, aside from the green hue?)

I feel a Dan Dare remake coming on. Our plucky lads surviving in a luxury plywood capsule on the surface of Mars when the Mekon unleashes a plague of killer termites. "Cripes sir, what shall we do now? Run to the Zylbat Digby, it's our only hope. We'll have to take our chances with the Mekon's death ray"

Or we’re going to have to rely on Rustins 5 Star wood preserver and we know how that turned out last time. Plus I’ve heard that Mekon has nipped out to get an eye test despite being in isolation.

Last edited:
Back