First Piece With New Toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
First go with the new Sorby Ultima, Sycamore, 9"x4.25". Fully hollowed but to varying wall thicknesses because I haven't got suitable calipers. [might make some out of ply]
Finished with Microcrystalline, buffed on a wheel. [not got the proper set yet]

Can't decide whether to put a lid on it, Mrs.M says if I make a pointy one it'll look like a big tit!

Comments/suggestions welcome.

P1080135k.jpg

P1080136k.jpg

P1080137k.jpg

Edited to counteract post festivity chimpism..... thanks Chris :oops:

Attachments

• P1080135k.jpg
    P1080135k.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 894
  • P1080136k.jpg
    P1080136k.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 894
  • P1080137k.jpg
    P1080137k.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 896
boysie39":1ljmuacr said:
Mike ,great hollow form something to be proud of. . Would you be happy to recommend the Sorby?

Thanks for that, I've done a few undercut bowls before and I thought this would be a lot more difficult than it turned out to be. The shape isn't exactly what I'd intended but I don't have fancy thickness calipers yet and I was a little worried about turning through the wall.

Regarding the Sorby, it's early days yet. As I posted earlier I was a little dissappointed on working out that the tool it's self needed fettling. I had to make a very small but significant alteration to the sliding bevel to counteract it's being out of line by maybe 1/2mm. It meant that even it barely did more than rub on the undercut it would grab like a pipper on the bottom. After careful filing and polishing so that the cutter exposure was equal in all directions, it became a lot more managable.

It's very sturdy and strong, I had worried about the links being a weak point, but they're not. I'm sure that as I use it more I'll tame the beast. It certainly makes very quick work of the hollowing.

Back