First Lathe - Midi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldDave

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya
First post so unfortunately can’t post links...
Joined a local club a few months back and having already invested in a Sorby six-pack of sharp pokey tools I’m now looking at getting my first lathe.
I really enjoy making bowls but as space in my shed is limited a midi lathe is the largest I’m gonna be able to house and use.
The club uses a lot of the Axi Trade series lathes - They seem to be great but the AT1416VS is sadly out of my price range.

I’m instead looking at the Axi - AC355WL : (Axminster link removed)

And the slightly more expensive RecPow DML320 : (Snainton Woodworking link removed)

Other possible (cheaper) options are the SIP 01936 : (SIP UK link removed)

And the Charnwood W824 : (Snainton Woodworking link removed)

I’m leaning toward the Record DML320 but am I being daft for discounting the cheaper SIP and Charnwood models?
As far as I can tell the only real differences are the spindle & taper sizes... Are the Axi & Record (at 100 quid more) worth the extra expense?

Welcome.
I can only give you an opinion as it boils down to preferences & value for money.

I doubt anyone has owned all four lathes to be able to compare them along side each other. Reliability & ease of use are factors that only show themselves after a period of use.

They all have variable speed & 550w - 750w motors. I happily coped with a 250w, second machine for a number of years by taking lighter cuts.

The minus point for all of them is the fixed headstock plus the Axi is currently out of stock.

So, IMHO, you will probably be happy with any of them.

So you wouldn’t see any issue choosing between M33 x 3.5 and 1” x 8tpi spindle sizes?
Having looked at other posts it seems M33 is preferable but I’m honestly not sure what the difference is in a real world setting - seems chuck’s are easily available for both.

I've had the RP and I was very happy with it and their customer service is also very good, as is Axminster's.
I've always bought second hand on Ebay and never had any issues.

Have you had a look at the Axminster Hobby Series AWVSL1000 Woodturning Lathe?
Has a lot of very positive reviews, rotating headstock 1hp.
One reviewer says along the lines of, describing it as a hobby lathe is rather an understatement, as it just goes on and on.
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-h ... the-501268
Axminster says out of stock but you might find a good used one.
On Google images I saw several have been on sale on Gumtree.

I saw this one, that was up for sale on Ebay Sept 2018 starting bid of £275 nobody was interested, no bids, no history of it being relisted and sold. If you get in contact with seller you might be might lucky and find is still available.

" Purchased new from axminster about 18 months ago, used twice no more than 12 hours use
any inspection welcome, for more info contact me on 0 7905535021, for more specks view on
axminster website,,,Thanks for looking
Please note this is CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY,,,Thanks
Seller information wapnut99 "

I also saw another one on Ebay Advanced, sale history view, sold, new other 1 bid £300
Oh BTW I do actually have one and is a pretty decent bit of kit.

Attachments

• lathe .jpg
    lathe .jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,170
Yep. Seen it.
As I indicated in first post - space is severely limited so only able to accommodate a midi lathe.
Doesn’t look like variable speed midi lathes hit the used market much :-(

People with no experience of rotating headstocks always think the main purpose is to do large turnings (I did before I had one), when far more often they are used to offset the work just an inch or two - it improves tool access and is much easier on your back. Once in a while it is useful to be able to turn the work away from you a little as well, it makes access to the side and around towards the back easier.

Lathes with rotating headstocks are bigger than the amount of space I have available. So the point is moot.
:)

Did you get one yet? I got the Charnwood last week, it's a great piece of kit. Very well built. I'm a complete beginner at turning so can't really compare but i wouldn't hesitate in buying another

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Can someone explain what the indexing is for on the headstock?

I've tried to find a Youtube video of it to no avail.

Ok, so the indexing points are only used with the lathe off?

That would explain why I couldn't work out what they were for.

Brian18741":9vcu4p9h said:
Did you get one yet? I got the Charnwood last week, it's a great piece of kit. Very well built. I'm a complete beginner at turning so can't really compare but i wouldn't hesitate in buying another
No not yet. I’ve 200 quid stashed and some cameras & lenses up for sale. As soon as they shift I’ll be getting one.
I’ve seen the Charnwood one but there’s very little reviews around (which I found odd considering the price!).
What size is the MT and spindle? 1” 8tpi or M33? MT2?

OldDave":qxsiqizs said:
I’ve seen the Charnwood one but there’s very little reviews around (which I found odd considering the price!).
What size is the MT and spindle? 1” 8tpi or M33? MT2?
According to the manual for the W824 which is available to downoad from
- https://www.charnwood.net/customer-serv ... oodturning

the spindle is 1" x8 tpi & 2MT.

Well - I’ve just ordered an AC355WL from Axminster and a SuperNova2 Chuck package from Snainton.
Really excited - can’t wait for them to arrive!!

Latest posts

Back